The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Marine Engines (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-marine-engines-33/)
-   -   Honda bf225 outboard bogging down (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-marine-engines-33/honda-bf225-outboard-bogging-down-14619/)

5th Tuition 09-25-2020 03:40 PM

Honda bf225 outboard bogging down

Help forum users !
I have a 2011 225 honda outboard. It has 1335 hours on it and ran fine until yesterday :( My motor runs fine up to about 14 mph. As I increase throttle, it will pick up and get on plane fine. It runs at 26 mph for several hundred yards and then bogs down as if starved for fuel.
The fuel/water separator looks fine (no water in clear plastic bowl. I thought it might be the VST filter (not changed for 4-5 years). The new VST filter made no difference.

My mechanic is three weeks out for service. In the mean time, I will change the fuel filter under the cowling and the fuel/water separator. I don't think this will be the problem, but I will try. I have a friend with a 225 Honda that had a similar problem. His mechanic found a section of fuel line (12-18 inches long) that was collapsing under higher rpms. Unfortunately, he doesn't know where that was located (I will try to find out).

Has anyone had to replace a fuel pump on the 225 honda? Is there a single pump?

Any thoughts are welcome.
5th Tuition

5th Tuition 09-25-2020 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 36114)
Help forum users !
I have a 2011 225 honda outboard. It has 1335 hours on it and ran fine until yesterday :( My motor runs fine up to about 14 mph. As I increase throttle, it will pick up and get on plane fine. It runs at 26 mph for several hundred yards and then bogs down as if starved for fuel.
The fuel/water separator looks fine (no water in clear plastic bowl. I thought it might be the VST filter (not changed for 4-5 years). The new VST filter made no difference.

My mechanic is three weeks out for service. In the mean time, I will change the fuel filter under the cowling and the fuel/water separator. I don't think this will be the problem, but I will try. I have a friend with a 225 Honda that had a similar problem. His mechanic found a section of fuel line (12-18 inches long) that was collapsing under higher rpms. Unfortunately, he doesn't know where that was located (I will try to find out).

5th Tuition

Spoke to the boat builder, I will try running the motor on an axillary tank to see if the problem is in the motor, or somewhere between the gas tank and the motor.

HenryHuynh919 10-02-2023 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 36114)
Help forum users !

5th Tuition

Hi @5th Tuition ,
Got your issue fixed?
what was the issue? Can you share? I have the same issue on mine and trying to find the solution for it.
Thanks.