The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Honda Scooters (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-scooters-31/)
-   -   05 ch80 not running, brand new to scooters (https://hondaforum.com/forum/honda-scooters-31/05-ch80-not-running-brand-new-scooters-15681/)

CltnTroxell 11-01-2021 03:30 PM

05 ch80 not running, brand new to scooters

Hey everyone,
I just picked up a ch80 honda elite. I love the look of it and am excited to mess around with it.

I picked it up not running. I was told that the spark plug was over tightened and stripped... I was told there was a small oil leak and other than that it was fine.

I put it on the charger overnight at home. When it is on the charger the horn, brake light, and signal lights work. I can't get the headlight to turn on... When I try to start it the it sounds like an electric motor that won't turn (like if you hold a drill and pull the trigger, it's trying but won't move). When I take the charger off I can't get it to even try to start, no sound or anything. Off the charger the signal lights and horn won't work either, just get some minor clicks like it's trying. When I check the battery it shows 13+ volts...

I know I want to inspect the starter relay, starter motor, and rotate the crankshaft to figure how to get things moving but what is up with nothing working when I take the charger off?

Once I get it running I'll get it registered and back on the road. It is missing a for plastic covers that I'll need but I want to get it running first.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I downloaded the service manual but its no help with the battery issue.

Thank you!

avisitor 11-02-2021 06:26 AM

You do not know the condition of the engine. You were only told that the spark plugs were over tightened and the threads stripped.
Do you know what a heli-coil is? How to repair stripped threads? A youtube search would let you know.
But, that would have nothing to do with why the starter will not turn the engine. Would check to see if the engine can turn over.
Why would it work with the charger on but not with it off? Only thing I can think of is that there is corrosion on the battery cable terminals.
Try taking the cable terminals off and cleaning it with a metal brush. Also, clean the battery posts. Hopefully that works.
Corrosion prevents the current from the battery to reach the horn and turn signal. Charger clamps on the outside of terminals.
By passes the corrosion, and it functions. You can still read battery voltage at the horn or turn signals but there will not be enough current
for the units to function. You have got yourself one heck of a project to fix. Good luck.

Note: the starter motor humming is a sign the starter motor is not functioning or the engine will not turn over (rotate).

CltnTroxell 11-02-2021 10:14 AM

Thanks,

Yes, I am familiar with a heli-coil and have used them before. I have been pretty handy with other engines. Just never messed around with scooters before. My other project is a CRX.
Thanks for the idea on the battery being a loose or corroded connection. I was about to pull the battery out anyway to test the starter relay and then the starter motor. I will make sure to look at the connections and clean them up along the way. I plan to try rotating the crankshaft today. Depending how that goes I'll have an idea about how to move forward.
Thanks again

avisitor 11-02-2021 11:51 PM

Looks like you already know what to do and how to move forward in this project.
Keep us informed of your progress, thanks

CltnTroxell 11-05-2021 12:41 AM

Ok, I pulled the starter relay off and it seemed to test out ok. Pulled the starter off today and tested it. Seems to be working great.

turned the crankshaft and it turns easily but won’t turn all the way around. Seems to be jamming up somehow. I figured out if I turn the crankshaft backwards and try to start it the crank will turn until it get jammed up.

It will still only try to do anything while on the charger.

my theory is that the previous owner put the wrong size spark plug in which would be why he stripped it and why it won’t turn more.

The guy gave me all the extra parts he had and it includes a new cylinder head…

avisitor 11-05-2021 01:12 PM

Wow, screwed in the spark plugs too tight or wrong plugs and now it won't crank past a certain point?????
I would say you got it bad. Now you have to take the time and determine what is wrong with it.
No simple fix. Lots of work. Original owner sold it rather than try it fix it. What does that tell you??
I know on some smaller engines there is a compression release for starting the engine
It allows the cylinder to continue past the point of what would be very high compression
Do not know if this engine has that. Usually lawn mower engine have this feature.

CltnTroxell 11-07-2021 08:26 PM

Ok so I was right, wrong size spark plug. I pulled it out and it wouldn’t crank passed a certain point by hand. I put a wrench on it and got to move past the sticking point but it still stuck there when I tried to start it.

so then I went about pulling the engine off. That went really easily! Then I pulled off the valve cover and didn’t see any issue. So I kept going and pulled the head off. Once I got that apart the cylinder was moving good.

I pushed on the valves and they seemed to move just fine. My best guess at this point is that it was out of timing. I’m planning to put everything I can in the parts cleaner and put it back together.

if that doesn’t work out I’ll be looking for a new head or new engine and if that’s too expensive I’ll probably be scrapping it and try to recoup my loss.

avisitor 11-11-2021 11:19 AM

Just remembered that many small engines have a compression release valve.
Often when the engine will crank only half way, it means the compression release valve has broken off.
What it is suppose to do is to be held in by a spring until the rpm is high enough to over come the tension of the spring
When held in, it will push on the valve to make it easier to spin the engine. So, no fighting the compression cycle.
Makes it easier for a starter to crank a small engine.

I think there are may youtube videos on it.
Could be your issue? Or could just be the timing?

CltnTroxell 11-13-2021 10:41 AM

OK, Well I was able to find someone on facebook parting out a CH80 and they are sending me the muffler and cylinder head for a reasonable price. I also ordered a gasket kit. I'll pick up a battery next time I run to walmart. Hopefully I'll be running soon enough. Then I'll be hunting for the plastic parts that are broken or missing and getting the carb dialed in. Then a good cleaning and maybe some painting. Once I get it running then I gotta get it inspected and registered. I should probably get a motorcycle permit I guess to drive it on CA roads... The fun has only just begun...

avisitor 11-14-2021 12:44 AM

So looks like you got a good idea of how to proceed.
Good luck to you.

If you have time then update us on your progress and/or trouble and solutions