The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://hondaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   04 Honda Accord..radio (https://hondaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/04-honda-accord-radio-7633/)

Warrior517 12-24-2011 01:44 PM

04 Honda Accord..radio

I have an 04 Honda Accord..removed battery to change headlight..reattached battery and radio doesn't work..nothing..doesn't flash code..nothing..fuses okay..took to dealership and they charged me 55.00 to check it..they don't know what is wrong..wanted to charge me another 90.00 to pull radio out and check..didn't do it..any suggestions? Thanks. :confused:

bucwheat 12-27-2011 09:41 AM

Welcome in,have you tried the Radio code?

Warrior517 12-28-2011 09:35 AM

Yeah tried the Code

Yeah I punched in code as did the dealership..its supposed to display the word, code, but it doesn't do that....:cool:

eddiecarrara 12-28-2011 09:59 AM

There are 2 fuses for the radio, one is under the hood and the other is in the under dash fuse box. The 1 under the hood is the back up fuse and the 1 under the dash is the radio fuse or vice versa. Check all fuses with a test light just to be sure it's has continuity. If both fuses are OK, sometimes the radio has a fuse in the back of it, but you have to pull the radio, it's not hard to pull, it would take you about and hour to remove and replace it.
The radio has no power so you can't enter the code, you need to figure out why you have no power. If your fuses are all good and you can't figure it out, send me an email and I'll find out exactly what fuses power the radio.

http://eddiecarrara.hubpages.com

bucwheat 12-29-2011 11:46 AM

Could also be a bad ground.

Warrior517 12-30-2011 06:11 AM

Still trying..

If it is the ground..what am I looking for..something disconnected? I raised a little heck with the dealership..thay have offered to pull the radio and look for free.. we will see what that turns up. One of the bad things,in this car the display for the radio is also the display for the the a/c, heat, defrost etc. I know what controls to work and can feel the temp, but if I sell the car, its a problem.

bucwheat 12-30-2011 01:02 PM

Let us know what they find,this is strange

eddiecarrara 12-31-2011 05:23 PM

I just remembered there is an update for that style radio because the display goes dim or out, you need to call Honda Customer service and get a case #, even if your car is out of warranty, I did a quick search and found someone else who had the same problem. We had a lot of radios we had to replace the face plate and some we replaced the whole unit, check this post out on another forum.

jodave98
1st Gear

03 EX Audio/HVAC Display Repair Procedure
First off, thanks to everyone who posted their stories of this problem here and on other boards, now I'd like to share my story.

If you don't already know, the 03-04 Accord EX's have a defect in the audio unit that results in the radio display as well as the backlighting for the HVAC controls to go out. Honda was aware of this a long time ago and issued a Service Bulletin that calls for the replacement of the audio unit ($486.30 at slhondaparts.com).

Now don’t go out and spend $486 if you are out of warranty, there is an excellent chance that you can get a replacement radio for free from Honda.

I have an 03 EX and had this problem occur about a month ago. I searched the boards and found the SB. After reading how other people called Honda Customer Service and were able to get their radio replaced even when they were out of the warranty, I gave it a shot. I called HCS and told them about my problem and how I found the SB and that I wanted to have the audio unit replaced for free. They gave me a claim number and said I would be contacted within a few days. Someone did call in a few days and they said I needed to have a dealer diagnose the problem, then they would let me know what they were going to do. I brought the car in to my dealer and told them I have this problem with the audio/hvac display and I called HCS and they said to bring it in for a diagnosis. I thought someone could look at it real quick and I'd be on my way. Well, an hour later they hand me my key and the security code for the new radio! They had one in stock and they went ahead and replaced it. I asked if they wanted my claim number with HCS, they said "sure, if you have it."

Bottom line, don't despair, call HCS first and make them aware of your case. Honda is obviously aware that this is a major problem affecting a lot of vehicles. How many dealers stock a $400+ replacement audio unit?

Now how many people would love to see the Service Bulletins posted to the Honda Owner-Link site?

bucwheat 01-01-2012 07:40 PM

Sounds promising Eddie,good luck.

Warrior517 01-05-2012 09:49 PM

my radio..

Honda dealership looked at it..said radio done..10-7..from a power surge? How does disconnecting and reconnecting a battery cause a power surge? Still waiting to hear back from American Honda..supposed to get an answer by the 10th...:confused: