New Member Area New to HF? Stop in tell us about yourself.

2000 accord installed 3 diff used transmissions and having same problem. Need input!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Default 2000 accord installed 3 diff used transmissions and having same problem. Need input!

Hey guys, first time posting here.
im stumped

My sister's 2000 honda accord ran into some transmission issues a couple months ago. I had the car towed to my house so i could do the work. I habe done this atleast 10 times on this particular type of honda and some civics and odyessys as well.

the first used trans i installed, after cyling through p,r,n,d4 and so on i determined it wasn't good because it would jerk into gear very hard
having no warning lights, i decided it wasnt good.

the second used trans i installed gave me a similar issue, except this time i actually did more than just put it into gear

after not going into gear smooth, it felt like it didnt want to accelerate like it should, almost as if something was holding it back. Id put it back into n, drop it into drive, and it would feel normal. I tried to take it dowm the street, and it would start to go, the just STOP ITSELF. Yes, stop itself. The car had to come to a stop, switch to n then back to d4 and go less than 5mph home. I determined this transmission to be bad.

i pulled a third used transmission and installed it. Im having the same issue! Not going into gear smooth, or delayed going in to r or d4, slight jerk feeling, not wanting to accelerate nornally as it should, but occasionally it will. Then just completely stopping itself. But will.move again once going from d4,n back to d4 and not going more than 5 mph.

I pulled all 3 of these transmissions from totalled cars. As of now, im sort of lost with what to do.

i had a similar issue with a 2001 civic i had a trans rebuilt on. Didnt want to move like it should off the line, like something was holding it back. Ended up being a cv axle issue.

Similar issue, but much, much worse on this accord. Ive inspected the spines of the cv shaft and they seem to look okay.

anyone have any input on where to start? Would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. just wondering what type of trans fluid are you using to to service these transmissions with?

Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. just wondering what type of trans fluid are you using to to service these transmissions with?

i have used valvoline maxlife atf with great success,
everytime.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

honda cars do not like after market transmission fluids. try using honda only fluid, it is expensive but seems honda got the market on their trans and fluids.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:04 PM

honda cars do not like after market transmission fluids. try using honda only fluid, it is expensive but seems honda got the market on their trans and fluids.
i will give that a try and report back as soon as i do. Whats weird is ive done this several times. Not.just changed fluid, but changed several transmissions and having used the same valvoline everytime.

but ill give it a try as its a place to start.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

honda made their fluid a bit different from all others. I read an article long time back that the fluid honda makes has less detergent to cause less foaming. also honda transmissions have a filter that is very small and easy to clog up with debri. so hope the trans fluid works. don't forget the converter has the valvoline fluid also.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:20 PM

honda made their fluid a bit different from all others. I read an article long time back that the fluid honda makes has less detergent to cause less foaming. also honda transmissions have a filter that is very small and easy to clog up with debri. so hope the trans fluid works. don't forget the converter has the valvoline fluid also.
easiest way to do it? Drain, fill, drain fill?

or drain and hookup a hose to return line, run car while adding new fluid?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

i have only drain fill, run for a bit, then drain fill and run.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:01 PM

i have only drain fill, run for a bit, then drain fill and run.

okay reporting back.

i drained the fluid. Flushed the transmission cooler lines. Ran the car. Same issue.

drained the fluid, flushed the lines again, filled back up with geniune honda fluid.

same issue.

no check engine lights.

can anyoneoffer any more insight?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

sorry for poor results, only thing i might suggest is to get an overhauled unit with a warranty.

Quick Reply: 2000 accord installed 3 diff used transmissions and having same problem. Need input!