The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://hondaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   B18/B16 Vtec head swap no start (https://hondaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/b18-b16-vtec-head-swap-no-start-16782/)

pnw_ek9 08-04-2023 11:14 PM

B18/B16 Vtec head swap no start

So I bought a tuned ek9 civic with a b18b1 block, built b16 vtec head, gsr ls transmission, and tuned like a mf’er. It has antilag, launch control, and when you bounce off rev limiter it shoots flames. Pretty cool for someone who’s never had a honda before. So anyways the last couple days ago a guy pulled out in front of me and I did what any rational honda owner in my shoes would’ve done and banged off limiter to let him know I was there. It then proceeded to stall, so I tossed it in neutral and tried to start it again but nothing. Long story short, it has compression, and spark, not so sure about fuel but the fuel pump is priming. Thought it may have thrown the timing off but at TDC everything is just fine and the cams all line up along with the valves. Wondering if anybody could help me out/give me pointers to what it may be before I start throwing useless parts at it since it’s a freshly built motor.

grcauto 08-05-2023 06:44 AM

Will it start with alternative fuel. Ether.

avisitor 08-05-2023 01:24 PM

Since you tuned the ECU before, did you try to communicate with it now?
Does it show any DTCs.
Did you spray starter fluid into the intake to see if it starts??

pnw_ek9 08-08-2023 05:07 PM

I haven’t even tried any alternative fueling/starting method. Where would I even be able to find ether, I live in oregon btw, so not many alternative fuel choices.

pnw_ek9 08-08-2023 05:08 PM

I have a obd2 scanner but it fails to read any configuration of ecu so i’m thinking the person who tuned it used an obd1 ecu from a b16.

grcauto 08-08-2023 08:13 PM

Starting fluid is ether. You can use most any aerosol cleaner, ie. carb cleaner.

pnw_ek9 08-09-2023 12:36 PM

NEW INFO; I pulled the fuel rail off and found there is no rail pressure at all when attempting to start the car. Fuel pump still primed, but no rail pressure whatsoever.
I need help on wether y’all think it could be an electrical thing or a clogged fuel lines.

grcauto 08-09-2023 12:52 PM

With the line disconnected does fuel come out when priming?
Highly unlikely it's plugged.

avisitor 08-14-2023 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by pnw_ek9 (Post 42584)
I haven’t even tried any alternative fueling/starting method. Where would I even be able to find ether, I live in oregon btw, so not many alternative fuel choices.

Brake clean is available in auto parts stores and can be used instead of starter fluid

Originally Posted by pnw_ek9 (Post 42585)
I have a obd2 scanner but it fails to read any configuration of ecu so i’m thinking the person who tuned it used an obd1 ecu from a b16.

What year is this vehicle and engine?

Originally Posted by pnw_ek9 (Post 42592)
NEW INFO; I pulled the fuel rail off and found there is no rail pressure at all when attempting to start the car. Fuel pump still primed, but no rail pressure whatsoever.
I need help on wether y’all think it could be an electrical thing or a clogged fuel lines.

If fuel pump runs then there should be fuel pressure. Is there any fuel coming out?
May be the fuel regulator is faulty??
Maybe the fuel line was hooked up wrong? Maybe the return line is hooked up to the feed??
Don't know Just guessing