The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Odyssey Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/odyssey-forum-15/)
-   -   2006 Odyssey CV Axle Vibration (https://hondaforum.com/forum/odyssey-forum-15/2006-odyssey-cv-axle-vibration-12635/)

Resetter 05-02-2018 08:48 AM

2006 Odyssey CV Axle Vibration

I have a 2006 Odyssey, 120000 miles. I get hard vibration while accelerating around 50-60mph. From what I've found, this points to a bad CV axle, and also a common issue with this era Odyssey. What I can't find is if it tends to be the driver or passenger side. I would rather not replace both if it is just one, but not sure how to go about figuring out which one it is. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

acmech52 05-02-2018 12:11 PM

welcome to the forum. to find what side the cv was bad, i found a large lot, drove a mid turn to the left and heard a click/clunk sound, turn a mid right turn and heard no noise. then jacked up the front and rotated the tire by hand fwd and backward short turns and could hear the noise on the left side, no noise on the right, cut open the boot and found the left cv dry and light metal flakes.

Resetter 05-03-2018 08:14 AM

There is no click, it is vibration during acceleration. I wanted to see if there were other people that had this, and which side the vibration was coming from. Or, how do I figure out which side it is? No clicking, just vibration, which indicates bent axle.

joewilly 06-27-2018 07:18 AM

Resetter,

I just replaced both of my axles because of torn boots. I didn't necessarily hear the clicking sounds yet but I know they have been torn for at least the last year or so and one had thrown a bit of grease. What prompted me to finally fix them was the fact that we had just driven 3:45 hours on a 4 hour trip home to PA from Finger Lakes and began to feel significant vibration on the highway so bad I had to pull over thinking I had a flat. It cleared up and came back but fortunately we were at our exit and we limped home on country road for 15 minutes. The next morning, I took it to Mavis Tire after driving on it for 10-15 mins. Nothing. They couldn't fit me in so I went to another one 20 minutes away but had to get on PA turnpike. Three miles into the drive, I felt the vibration again at about 75-80 mph. Slowed down and it went away. Got to Mavis and tech took van out but couldn't duplicate. They thought that maybe I had a sticking brake caliper from the long drive day prior but still couldn't duplicate. They did concede that a faulty CV could possible give vibration. Replaced axles and and a right side suspension piece and drove home no problem. Thought everything was fine and was driving around town and at the same exact spot on two occasions after making a 90 degree left turn, I had vibration for a few seconds. CRAP. So, now I am wondering if the struts are going bad as the tech thought he heard the tell tale "hissing" sound? They are original and have 135k on them. You have similar mileage, are your front struts/shocks original? We are planning a trip to NC and I can't afford a problem when I'm 400 miles away but I don't want to throw money at something if not necessary. I knew the axles needed eventually replacement but if the struts/shocks won't fix this, I want to keep my $ in my pocket. Anybody else out here have any thoughts? I have seen that old shocks/struts can cause vibration in steering wheel.

Resetter 06-27-2018 11:01 AM

Hi joewilly. Interesting question about the struts/shocks. A couple weeks back, I was driving with the windows down in an area with lots of speed humps. The shocks did hiss when I drove over them, but a visual inspection doesn't show anything unusual (excessive rust, leaking, etc.). Still, I do think it is the CV axels, as looking on YouTube I found a replacement video with the same issue as described. There is a little bit of grease around the outside of the boot on both driver and passenger side. Ultimately, I think I will need to do both, but right now the household budget will only allow for one. So rocking the axles up and down, the passenger side seems to have more play. So I'm going to do that one first, and see if it improves. I'd also like to hear from others about shock/strut vibration. Thanks.