Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

2007 honda odyssey rb1 urgent help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 11:33 PM
Default 2007 honda odyssey rb1 urgent help needed

hi,
can someone please please help and tell me what's wrong with our car ..
we love our odyssey and have since the day we got it but it's over heating . So far I've replaced the radiator, water pump, fan belt radiator hoses and other little bits n pieces. First the car was making a loud grinding noise so I took the clutch out of the air conditioning motor and it fixed that problem but the car is over heating even with replaced radiator and water pump . There is a little bit of steam coming out of the radiator as soon as I start the car . I've looked all around the motor and I can't find any oil leaks or anything . What is wrong with it ??

Old 12-26-2018, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. has the thermostat been changed, sometimes it sticks close to warm up the engine when it is cold and does not open. also take a compression check to see if the head gaskets are good. then check to see if the fan comes on when the water temp gets hot short of boiling. fan does not go on, it will overheat.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the advice mate . I'm going to check all of that today . Where can I get the engine pressure tested ?

Old 12-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

if you know how to change spark plugs on your engine, go to the parts house and purchase a compression tester, or rent one,( you may never use one again unless you do a lot of engine work) test each cylinder. make sure you write it down for future reference. ask all the questions you need to get help. the dumb question was the one you did not ask.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:06 PM

Fans wont turn on and now the engine seems fuked... I'm so pissed off !! Do you recon I would be able to fit a newer odyssey engine in it or even a different model honda engine ?

Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

if the fan does not turn on, it may be the fan motor, test the fan motor to see if it will turn on with jumping 12 volts, (no turn bad motor). if it turns, thermoswitch bad not sending power to fan motor when temp hot. if the engine sounds like it is exploding in itself, the thermostat is stuck closed and will not allow the water to circulate. causing water to boil in the block. if the engine sounds like its knocking due to the excessive water temp, let it cool down and make sure there is oil in the engine. and yes you can swap engines 05 to 2010 are the third gen eng. if you go to ebay, you can find engines and most have milage given. or to a salvage yard.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the info mate . Legend

Old 01-16-2019, 05:03 AM

Hey is it possible to set the timing chain in the engine when the engine is still in the car ?

Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

3ed gen ody 05-2010 have timing belt, normally changed ea 110k miles. if you aree to set the timing, change the belt at the same time. did you check to see if the fan motor turns when the engine gets warm, and check the thermostate for proper operation before the timing belt. do the easy stuff first.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:30 AM
Default Engine replacement

In order to take the engine out of the car, do I need to take out the transmission?

Quick Reply: 2007 honda odyssey rb1 urgent help needed