The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Odyssey Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/odyssey-forum-15/)
-   -   2018 Wheel Spin (https://hondaforum.com/forum/odyssey-forum-15/2018-wheel-spin-13454/)

3dMike 04-03-2019 05:09 PM

2018 Wheel Spin

My wife and I bought a 2018 Odyssey EX-L in September of 2018. Immediately we noticed if we did any aggressive push on the accelerator the front wheels would light up like a dragster doing a burnout. So much so that it almost resulted in a couple of accidents because the vehicle wasn't moving just sitting spinning it's tires as we attempted to pull out into traffic. We originally thought that the OEM Turanzas might not be the best tires and planned on buying new Goodyear or Michelin tires in the spring. We put brand new Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice snow tires on for winter and had the same problem with them on dry pavement. I held off buying the new summer tires because if this wheel spin is going to happen anyway, why waste the money on new tires?

I was wondering if any other owners were having the same problem and if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks

acmech52 04-04-2019 01:18 AM

welcome to the forum. don't have an ody, but had a 440 cuda, and to prevent wheel spin on 380hp at the wheel, I put on larger, wider tires, with softer rubber. expensive but no more wheel spin up, grip and go.

Lochinvar 04-04-2019 04:04 PM

Isn't the traction control system supposed to prevent this? I thought that's part of why Honda he's been touting it for the last 17 years.

acmech52 04-04-2019 09:41 PM

Honda's traction control system is supposed to prevent lock up of the tires during heavy breaking,. similar to the airplanes anti skid system for a safer straight line stop and not a skid sideways type of stop. works good in damp ground stopping. it can be felt while under heavy stopping.

bucwheat 04-07-2019 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52 (Post 32628)
Honda's traction control system is supposed to prevent lock up of the tires during heavy breaking,. similar to the airplanes anti skid system for a safer straight line stop and not a skid sideways type of stop. works good in damp ground stopping. it can be felt while under heavy stopping.

I have a Corvette Grand Sport that had that problem with the rear wheels,I found if I went to a softer compound tire you get better grip combined with track controll and that should solve the problem. Although you won't get as good a tire mileage with the soft compound it eliminates wheel spin. The traction control on the Vette comes in when you lose traction to lockup what ever wheel it needs to to get you under control again,quite different from Hondas .

nabrlu3@yahoo.com 04-19-2019 04:43 PM

2012 Odyssey tire spin

I have same tire spin on my 2012 Odyssey. I have Goodyear Comfort tread (softer tire) and they still spin on startup.
Anyone have recommendation on tires for these Odysseys that will be better?

bucwheat 04-20-2019 07:03 PM

Toyo tires have very good grip as well as Michelin pilots .

1saxman 05-28-2019 08:31 AM

Traction control is not working. Its an open differential (one-wheel drive) so the traction control can use the brakes independently to hold the spinning wheel so the other one will drive. Typically TC is on by default every time you start the car so it should not be 'off' unless you turn it off every time. otherwise it must be simply not working. TC can also be aggravating in snow where sometimes you have to spin the wheels to get going, but TC will actually prevent you from going - the harder you press the gas, the harder it applies the brakes. You might expect a 'chirp' from the tires when goosing it from a light or other stop but you should not be able to just sit there and spin in a TC-equipped vehicle with the power to weight ratio of a mini-van.