Odyssey Forum This minivan is among the class leaders thanks to its roomy interior and powerful engine offerings.

Steering vibration on 2006 Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:44 AM
Default Steering vibration on 2006 Odyssey

I just replaced both of my axles because of torn boots. I didn't necessarily hear the clicking sounds yet but I knew they have been torn for at least the last year or so and one had thrown a bit of grease. What prompted me to finally fix them was the fact that we had just driven 3:45 hours on a 4 hour trip home to PA from Finger Lakes and began to feel significant vibration going downhill on the highway so bad I had to pull over thinking I had a flat. No flat, so I pulled away and the wheel was shaking very badly back and forth. I limped down to the exit about a 1/2 mile away. It dissipated a bit but came back and then away as we drove some country roads home. I pulled into the garage. The next morning, I took it to Mavis Tire after driving on it for 10-15 mins. Nothing. They couldn't fit me in so I went to another one 20 minutes away but had to get on the PA turnpike. Three miles into the drive on TP I felt the vibration again at about 75-80 mph. Slowed down and it went away. Got to Mavis and tech took van out but couldn't duplicate. They thought that maybe I had a sticking brake caliper from the long drive day prior and it heated up brakes which cooled down overnight but still couldn't duplicate. They did concede that a faulty CV could possibly give vibration. Replaced axles and and a right side stabilizer link (that was slightly loose) and drove home no problem. Thought everything was fine and was driving around town and at the same exact spot on two occasions (VERY, VERY STRANGE) after making a 90 degree left turn slightly uphill and under power, I had vibration for a few seconds. Even my kids in the back felt it as they were with me on the second occasion. CRAP!!!! So, now I am wondering if the struts are going bad as the tech thought he heard the tell tale "hissing" sound? They are original and have 135k on them. Now, as I am driving around town I am hyper vigilant to feel the van. I do feel as I'm driving a very slight vibration want to start and then it disappears without going full on. It is very frustrating. They balanced all 4 tires and performed a full four wheel alignment as well. We are planning a trip to NC and I can't afford a problem when I'm 400 miles away but I don't want to throw money at something if not necessary. I knew the axles needed eventually replacement but if the struts/shocks won't fix this, I want to keep my $ in my pocket. Anybody else out here have any thoughts? I have seen in my research that worn shocks/struts can cause vibration in steering wheel. Or could this be a sticking brake caliper that does get heated up but just not enough when the tech takes it out for a test drive? He said he took it up to 70+ and hit brakes hard multiple times and I believe him! He did say and showed me the front tires had some tire wear due to I believe toed in (both front tires wearing on outside tread) which is strange since Goodyear just checked the alignment in April and said it was dead on. I don't know what else there is that could be causing this. They checked everything else in the front end. Anyone have any ideas????