Other Honda Cars and Trucks Don't see your vehicle listed above yet? This is the place for your information.

Audio Media USB functionality - Honda 2024 HR-V

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 04:05 PM
Default Audio Media USB functionality - Honda 2024 HR-V

Thanks in advance for any help and feedback!

The USB audio media problem in the 2024 Honda HR-V must be an old problem, because the specs, requirements and mode of operation are positively prehistoric. Let's put it this way, my old 2008 Apple Ipod touch was more sophisticated than the 2024 HR-V audio system.

I'm probably posting nothing new, except for me. This is the first car I've owned without a CD player and WITH a USB port.
  1. Let's start at the beginning - the USB flash drive must be a FAT32 format. I tried ExFAT and NTSF, "File format not supported." Why is this a problem?
    1. Windows computers don't easily support FAT32 anymore, only ExFAT and NTSF.
    2. Where Windows does support FAT32, it will only format a drive to a max of 32GB - it doesn't matter how large the drive is, that's the max space Windows will format and recognize.
    3. You can find a third party Windows software to format the drive to FAT32 and give you access to the full drive space.
  2. APPARENTLY, the HR-V won't READ the file hierarchy or folder structure common to Windows and Apple computers.
    1. You would think that Windows file structure would be the default format, as it's the one people are most familiar with.
    2. I set up five or six folders to contain different kinds of music, i.e., classical, rock, jazz, etc. Then I placed albums in individual folders underneath the category file folder. (I have never had much interest in playlists. A classical symphony, for example, isn't that conducive to a playlist.)
    3. The HR-V doesn't appear to read the higher level category folders, only root level album folders. That means, I have ONE SINGLE list of over 800 folders (yes, I have that many albums ripped...so far...). It takes forever to scroll through the list, which isn't the ideal thing to do while you're driving.
    4. I suppose that I could put the groups of music into different USB dives and swap those out. Which leads me to topic #3:
  3. The Media player sometimes take a good three to four minutes to load.
    1. Which means I either sit and wait for the USB to load while unnecessarily polluting the atmosphere and wasting gas, or I take off and find my music while driving, again not ideal (See 2-3, above).
So asking, IF ANYONE KNOWS SOMETHING DIFFERENT, PLEASE POST ANY CORRECTIONS OR USEFUL HELP...

(And if anyone at Honda audio development lurks on this board, these are some audio feature upgrades that you should implement.)