Other Honda Cars and Trucks Don't see your vehicle listed above yet? This is the place for your information.

Clarity PHEV - 12v battery and using accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 03:10 PM
Default Clarity PHEV - 12v battery and using accessories?

From the Nissan Leaf forum, I had learned that the big traction battery recharges the 12v battery that runs all the electronic interfaces. However, it doesn't charge the 12v battery if the car is plugged in. The result is that if someone leaves the car plugged in while they go on a 2 week long trip, when they get back, the 12v battery is dead and the car has to be towed because the electronics won't work to start the car.

I now have a Clarity PHEV. I want to install a dash cam that I would like to have run continuously even when the ignition is off. I want to make sure it doesn't drain the battery and I get stuck because the 12v battery is dead even though the traction battery is full. For the LEAF, this would not be a problem IIUC per the above as the traction battery would simply charge the 12v battery as needed and there is no way a dashcam is going to drain that in any short period of time.

Does anyone know how/when the 12v battery in the PHEV Clarity is recharged? Is it from the 17 kwh traction battery? Or does it have an alternator that recharges when the car is running hybrid? Does it only recharge when the car is on? Or will it keep the 12v battery topped off as my dash cam drains it while it sits while I'm out of town for a week? Does it shut down the 12v recharge when plugged in like the LEAF does?

Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 PM

Bueller, Bueller...

Anyone out there who knows the technical aspects of the Clarity PHEV? Anyone from Honda on here?

Old 05-18-2018, 11:10 AM

When I turn on accessory mode, I get the warning light that indicates that the 12v is not being charged. So I would guess that the 12v is only charged when the full battery is on (drive mode).

Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 PM

Interesting. That would make it a poor choice to use with an inverter to power home needs during an outage. But I guess it makes sense as more of a hybrid design than an EV design. The Leaf I have is readily able to power an inverter for extended periods in accessory mode.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Hi, just bought a Clarity. Looking through the site i spotted your post. In case you don't have an answer yet, I found this in the manual.

There are two types of batteries used in this vehicle, a standard 12-volt battery that powers the airbags, the interior and exterior lights, and
other standard 12-volt systems, and a high voltage battery that is used to power the propulsion motor and recharge the 12-volt battery.

The accessory power sockets are designed to supply
power for 12-volt DC accessories that are rated 180
watts (15 amps) or less.
To prevent 12-volt battery drain, only use the power
socket with the power system on.
You probably have figured this out by now but it give me an opportunity to post

Norm

Old 12-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

request for admin to add the clarity and insight to the forum placed, may take a few requests to update forum.