Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

2019 Pilot Elite Collision Mitigation System Errors

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Default 2019 Pilot Elite Collision Mitigation System Errors

I'm having an issue with my new 2019 Pilot Elite. The collision mitigation system is constantly providing false warnings. An example of this is that it will occasionally pick up traffic in the oncoming lane and warn that I should be braking. It does operate like it should (i.e. warns when a vehicle slows down rapidly in front of me), but the false signals are getting annoying. Has anybody else seen this issue? I have taken it to the dealership, but they say they can't replicate the problem, so I am kind of stuck.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. being your vehicle is so new, there may not be any member on this forum with this type of problem. might document this if possible as to date time and what type of vehicle if the opposite lane sets the false signal. and don't stop going to the dealership to have this fixed. also get in touch with american honda and advise them of the false signals. the dealership should fix this or give you another correct running vehicle.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:55 PM

I noticed that too right after I drove home from the dealership. But I noticed that the BRAKE warning comes up when there is a curve and the pilot is somewhat facing the other vehicle. Check it out

Old 03-11-2019, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

you both may try to get Honda to reset/reboot the computer to get it running right.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Default Me too

Maybe not as much as it seems to affect you, but in my experience it is when the road bends slightly right, and oncoming traffic could be perceived as in the same lane.
happens to me once or twice a week, driving 800 miles a month or so, mostly on winding roads at about 30-35 mph. Can be kinda scary. Have not looked into a fix. Maybe a software update will become available with a programing fix?

Have you noticed your head lights blind others? I get flashed by oncoming traffic a lot, which is what brought me to this forum.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:33 PM

Just got back from a road trip with my brand new 2019 pilot where I experienced sudden braking for no apparent reason three times. There was no oncoming traffic, the road was straight and there were no vehicles in front of me. Very scary indeed. The second time it happened I noticed that the road painting to the left of my lane was marked with yellow hashes to indicate the start of a left turning lane. I vaguely remembered something similar the first time the sudden braking happened. The third time sudden braking happened I confirmed it was the same kind of road marking when the braking occurred. This happened in florida where this type of road marking is prevalent on wide boulevards. It's hard to believe that road markings would confuse the sensor but I think it was more than a coincidence. It would be cool if the front camera would record collision avoidance incidents when the system is triggered. It would help with debug as it is kind of hard to take in everything going on when the car breaks suddenly.
BTW, does anyone know if the break lights come on when the collision avoidance system is triggered? The false activation was scary enough but I was particularly worried about getting rear ended.
As an aside, I will say the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control worked well on my trip. Very cool!