The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts.

The unofficial Honda Forum and Discussion Board Forums For Honda automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts. (https://hondaforum.com/forum/)
-   Prelude Forum (https://hondaforum.com/forum/prelude-forum-19/)
-   -   89 Prelude Died, Will not Turn Over (https://hondaforum.com/forum/prelude-forum-19/89-prelude-died-will-not-turn-over-13327/)

compshooter 02-03-2019 12:55 PM

89 Prelude Died, Will not Turn Over

Greetings All,

I was driving my Prelude today when she died at 60 MPH. I attempted to restart via ignition and then by clutch popping. Both failed. I coasted off the road and had a buddy with a car trailer retrieve me and the Prelude.

Upon getting the car home, I did some troubleshooting but am baffled. The starter engages (I drove car on to the trailer with the starter) but will not crank the engine. When the starter is engaged, the timing belt does NOT turn but the accessory belts do. I am assuming a smooth spot on the timing belt where the crankshaft is free spinning on it but am looking for advice/suggestions. Since it is an interference engine, I am hoping one of you experts can shed some light on this problem.

Thanks.

Rob
89 Prelude
215K on the clock

acmech52 02-03-2019 09:57 PM

welcome to the forum. looks like you may have damaged a few internal parts if the belt has a flat spot and the crank turns. interference engine would mean your valves are open and the piston is being driven into the valves by the crank and may have damaged the valves or pistons. you might want take the heads off to see if there is any damage and start from there. but check the timing belt first before anything is done.

avisitor 02-03-2019 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by compshooter (Post 32214)
The starter engages (I drove car on to the trailer with the starter) but will not crank the engine.

As far as I know, the starter engages the flywheel which turns the crankshaft.
The crankshaft then turns the accessory belts.
Then the crankshaft turns then the engine should be cranking

Originally Posted by compshooter (Post 32214)
When the starter is engaged, the timing belt does NOT turn but the accessory belts do. I am assuming a smooth spot on the timing belt where the crankshaft is free spinning on it but am looking for advice/suggestions. Since it is an interference engine, I am hoping one of you experts can shed some light on this problem.
89 Prelude
215K on the clock

Don't know how you know the timing belt is not turning.
Did you look at the valves and see that they are not moving while cranking engine???
Have heard of some people with timing belt broken try just putting on a new belt (timed properly of course).
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
But, the good news is that some Hondas can survive a broken timing belt.
Hope yours is one of them.
Good luck

compshooter 02-06-2019 07:39 AM

Greetings Again,

I am sorry for the late reply but I am a cop and work 0700-1900 for Monday and Tuesday. No chance to work on Hooptie as it is dark out.

Avisitor, by looking under the A/C compressor from the left side of the engine, you can see the timing belt. That is how I confirmed it was not turning.

Update: I contacted my insurance company and they value the Prelude between $800 and $1200 if I got in an MVC. So, with the cost of a new long block ($2500) and the time involved with installing it, I have decided to suck it up and send her to a better place next Monday when I am off.

I do appreciate the suggestions offered on this forum but it is cost prohibitive to me to repair my baby.

Thank you.
Rob

acmech52 02-06-2019 09:38 PM

before you send the prelude to a better place, you can get a used engine from a salvage yard for about 500. and 500 for removal and installation. Preludes are not easy cars to get, yours will soon be a collector item due to not being made anymore. also my humble thanks to you for serving and protecting your community. I have 2 brother in-law sheriffs dept retired. email me if you have any questions acmech52@yahoo.com