S2000 Forum This powerful, yet efficient rear wheel drive sports car is popular among both performance car enthusiasts and the average person who wants a quick droptop.

Clunking Noise From Rear, Accident Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:14 PM
Default Clunking Noise From Rear, Accident Damage?

Hey guys,

So this guy only wants $8,500 for this s2k with 162k miles on it.

Clean title, however I did notice the trunk was slightly elevated on the left side, causing a slight misalignment. Also it seems the right side skirt doesn't quite line up with the front fender, the panels are not completely flush. It is very minor. The front and rear bumpers have also been replaced. This leads me to believe it may have been in an accident. What are your guys's thoughts?

Also when test driving, I noticed that the rear of the car will make a clunking noise when coming to a stop (with the clutch all the way in and not touching the shifter.) This was with the clutch fully depressed. I also noticed the clunking noise when depressing and pressing the clutch. It would clunk when near the floor while moving the petal.

Another clunk would occur when dropping to first at a low speed, before letting out the clutch. This seemed to be a different noise coming from the gear box perhaps.

The car also has a tendency to steer left just slightly, Not sure how normal this could be

So, with that information, what do you guys think could be the issue? I'm thinking about having an alignment shop, and mechanic check out the car, but also wanted your guys's opinions before I do so.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...799182625.html

Thank you!