CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Transmission slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Default Transmission slipping?

I bought my 2011 CR-V in August 2016 from a private seller. The car was driving fine until the past few weeks. I smelled a burning smell in cabin when I was driving for a few days and that has since vanished. I also have been experiencing a slight hesitation when leaving work heading up a steep incline. The hesitation lasts a second or less and then accelerates. There are no error warnings on the dash, but I took it to my local Midas for a diagnosis, as dealer shops are not open on weekends in my city. My goal was to get a tranny flush but they don't mess with trannies if they think they are slipping is what they told me. Anyways, they told me a few hours later that the transmission is slipping. I checked the fluid and there is fluid but it appeared to have black specks in it. It was changed at 29k miles by the previous owner and now only has 54k on it. I think the burning smell can be attributed to me accidentally spilling some wiper fluid when I filled it a few weeks ago. Midas told me to take it to transmission shop. I should maybe take this with a grain of salt I'm hoping as another customer told me he's been in their shop two days in a row because on the first day they did not fix his brakes after he spent over 200 bucks on them.
I went to Auto Zone later today and the employee told me to Youtube how a CVT works and then come back if I have questions. I told him about the hesitation and he seemed to think it was just the CVT operating. I will be taking it to the dealer on Monday to get a real diagnostic on the car. Something is telling me the "slipping" is just the CVT operating on a steep incline. I had the car looked at by a Honda dealer in August of last year and all the car needed was new tires. If worse comes to worse, about how much is a rebuilt CVT Transmission? Anyone else with a similar experience they can share? Thanks.

Last edited by Neil Greely; 02-04-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:17 PM

I would change the oil at the Honda dealer and make sure you got the proper fluid in it. You can also mention the slipping and ask them to look at the old oil. Just my opinion.