CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2000 CR-V horn

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Default 2000 CR-V horn

I've read all about how horrible the CRV horn is and my 2000 CR-V horn is an embarrassment.
I've read about pulling off the bumper to replace with an OEM or after market that is probably just as lousy.
Has anyone been as annoyed as me and come up with a reasonably priced and reasonable to install horn alternative for the first generation CR-V?
Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

I do not own a cr-v, but have owned several other cars that had very mousy horns, so I replaced them with good strong after market horns that had great decibel readings and not to often does a car get in the way that cannot hear my horn. also have installed fog horns in my cars and air horns for alarms. you can install anything aftermarket you want, depending on what you want others to hear.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:14 PM

Thanks acmech

Old 02-22-2019, 01:27 AM

I've never had any complaints about my horns, but the first gen CR-V has 2, a high tone, and a low tone, and they sound exactly like the horns in the Odyssey from 99-04, and probably other models too. If your horn is horrible, one or both might be broken or worn out, or if you aren't the original owner, a previous owner might have put horrible aftermarket horns in before you got the car.

I would try going to a salvage yard and getting replacement horns there because they'll be cheaper and OE. If you still can't get them to sound nice enough, find an aftermarket one you like.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:15 PM

A horn producing 102-118 dp will be more than you need to be heard

Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Well. I thought I'd update this post. I bought the HELLA 003399801 Supertone 12V High Tone / Low Tone Twin Horn Kit and went at it.
It was rather simple (thanks to a you tube recording) to remove the grill and then the bumper.
The horn replacement was straight forward as installing a set of speakers. The HELLA horn kit above is an exact replacement. No fitting or attaching problems.
I would advise (as I didn't do it) to take the negative terminal off the battery first.
I blew the 15amp fuse (in the engine compartment fuse box) and had to replace it.
Here's a link to the you tube to remove the grill and bumper:

Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

good job. hope anyone in front of you or in your way now hears the horn!!!!.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 AM

You can go to the Hella website and choose the sound of the horn you might like to have.

https://www.hella.com/MicroSite/horns/en/index.html

Old 06-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Alp

Hi Jim2v
I also have a 2000 CRV.
As it happens my horns were no no longer working either. Honda wanted $300 to replace them.
I couldn't see spending that kind of money on new replacements.

I was able to get to the bolts holding on the horn brackets by using a 12" socket extension through the bumper grill. It was a bit tricky to get the socket square to the bolt so as to get a good hold on the bolt, but it can be done. I think the bolts were 10 MM. I put some penetrating oil on the bolts the day before to help loosen them up. I gradually worked the bolts in and out to free them up. (Didn't want to shear them off.) The connectors were a bit tricky to take apart. I used a pair of channel locks and small screw driver to separate them.

Then took one of the old horns (with the connector) to my local wrecker and poked through old Honda's. Eventually found a '96 Accord that still had its horns and matching connectors. When removing the old horns, be sure to take a foot or 2 of wiring with them, so you can battery jump test them before purchase. I paid $10 (Cdn) for the pair of horns. They were a little rough/rusty so I painted them before installation.
Good luck. Hope you find this helpful,
Alp.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:11 AM
Default horn install

"Well. I thought I'd update this post. I bought the HELLA 003399801 Supertone 12V High Tone / Low Tone Twin Horn Kit and went at it.
It was rather simple (thanks to a you tube recording) to remove the grill and then the bumper. ..."

Thanks, Jim. I know this is 2 yrs later but I'm about to do the same, thanks for the info and link to the video. My big question: the Hella horns look deeper than the area where it's
going, does it fit ok behind the grill, there doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance compared to the factory horns. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2000 CR-V horn