CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2003 Cr-V replaced clutch master/slave cylinder not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 12:42 PM
Default 2003 Cr-V replaced clutch master/slave cylinder not working

Intiially the master cylinder flange bolt broke off when I pushed in the clutch stopping at a light. I replaced both master and slave even though they had been replaced a year and half before. Although The shop put the clutch slave pin in the wrong way last year with the rounded end inside the cylinder. I'm not sure if this is what caused the master to blow. I ended up replacing the metal tube/line from the slave cylinder because I bent it trying to tighten the connection in the top of the slave.
Now I've bleed the system with a gravity kit I hooked up to the slave. I got my kid to pump the clutch with the bleeder valve closed then opened with pedal to the floor. I did this several times. The fluid is coming out the bleeder valve and through the tube with no bubbles in it but the clutch is still just going to the floor. I can't figure out why. I cant see any leaks and all the line connections seem to be tightened enough.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:14 PM

You got air in there. While doing the bleed tap on the master and see if you can get the little bubble to bust up and move out. Could be it in the slave but start with the master.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
You got air in there. While doing the bleed tap on the master and see if you can get the little bubble to bust up and move out. Could be it in the slave but start with the master.
I tried this several times to no avail. I dont see how there is air in their as the fluid is coming out with no bubbles. But there doesnt seem to be any pressure built up in the system. I tried real fast pumping with my hand over and over again I dont know how many times. There just doesn't seem to be pressure there. I sprayed WD-40 on all the connections in the line and I didnt see any bubbles coming out so there doesnt seem to be any air escaping the hardline connections. I'm just completely flustered and baffled at this point. I tried banging on the master and slave cylinder if there's any air bubbles trapped.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:58 PM

If the system is vibrating WHILE bleeding. If there's no air in there you have a bad master or slave. I think you have air.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:03 PM

They are brand new master and slave. I've put over half a liter of fluid through the system.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by sovtek1971
They are brand new master and slave. I've put over half a liter of fluid through the system.
So why don't you have a pedal? You have air in there of you got a bad new cylinder.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:44 AM

So why don't you have a pedal? You have air in there of you got a bad new cylinder.
I didn't bench bleed it but there are no bubbles coming out so I don't see how any air could be in there at all. I think it's a dud master like you said. Hopefully the shop will take it back.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:41 AM

Bench bleeding is ESSENTIAL.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:44 AM

Ok I'll give that a try

Old 03-31-2022, 03:15 PM

It didnt't make any difference.

Quick Reply: 2003 Cr-V replaced clutch master/slave cylinder not working