CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2007 CRV AWD Steering Characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Default 2007 CRV AWD Steering Characteristics

New to forum and new to owning Honda CRV. Wondering if it's typical for CRV EXL AWD models to have "wobble" in steering wheel when accelerating through turns--noticed this when driving curvy road at 25-30 mph. Bought a very clean, apparently well maintained (by appearance and maint records) vehicle. No visible tire wear (Michelins with even wear--over 1/2 tread left), no shimmying or notable alignment problems when driving down the road, and nice smooth breaking at low and high speeds, so I'm not thinking it's rotors/pad issue. Other than this issue--steering doesn't seem lose or sloppy--rather tight. It feels a little heavy, as I'd expect for AWD SUV vehicle. Just wasn't sure if this is normal characteristic--or if I have problem to be diagnosed.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

have had a 4 wheel alignment done to the vehicle if it has not been done, also if you do get one done, ask the mech/tech to see if there is anything that may cause the wobble in a turn.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:33 AM

Welcome to the forum and CR-V ownership! I've had a total of 5 CRVs, 3 first gens and I currently have an 07 and an 08, all have been top of the line models. My '08 does the same wobble while driving up long curved freeway on ramps and I haven't figured it out yet. (It was there when I bought it used with 125K miles, now has 165K) However, no, this is not typical for a CRV as my 07 (130K) and my 01 (190K) have never displayed any similar behaviors. The '08 has also begun to pull to the right, but only for the first few miles, then it steers fine. (That has me stumped) I will watch my tire wear and get an alignment if I see any hint of excess tire wear. I agree with acmech52. Check your tie rod ends and ball joins for slop and if you can't see anything obvious as in the case with my '08, take it in for an alignment. If you discover the cause, please post it so others will have the info. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

coastn: what are the chances it may be the power steering pump. i have read past posts on the accord, the power steering pump was the cause of the wobble as the car accelerated, i'd be guessing it can happen to the crv.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Hmmm, interesting. I will look into that! Thanks!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Default Bad CV Shaft

My newly aquired CR-V does this too. I asked my mechanic about it, and he told me with absolute certainty that it is a bad CV joint that causes it.

The reason it happens when turning is because the bad part of the joint provides intermittent drag on the wheel it turns. When the drag occurs, it pulls the steering toward the affected wheel.

So there you have it... According to my mechanic, at least.

I've driven many miles with "bad" CV shafts before, so I'm not too worried about it, but it might be on my list for later.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the info Lochinvar. My step son is driving the '08 now so I will not be able to check the CV joint until spring. acmech52, I have not had any issues with the power steering pump. Thanks to all.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:33 PM

My 2007 CR-V AWD has very heavy steering issue since I bought it new for my daughter. She rarely drives it and never liked the car. I recently bought the CR-V from her because she was able to buy a much better car. I found the heavy steering is still the issue, however, I don't see any one talked about it on the net. Just wonder if we had a have had a bad steering pump from day one. The car drives fine except the steering. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:30 PM

My in-laws Nissan Rogue has such light steering feel that it make my CRV feel like a heavy truck.
I don't know if it is the power steering pump or the rack and pinion.
Have thought about replacing the pump but don't want to end up with the same issue after spending the money to replace it.
So, how would I tell what is causing the heavy steering??

Old 05-12-2021, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

while driving the CR-V, turn with the air condition on, and then off to see if the a/c compressor is causing the hard steering. check to see the fluid to be nice and clean if not changed in a few years or at maintenance intervals. check for proper wheel alignment. pump tire pressures up to 36 lbs. try to do each item one at a time as to trying to pint point cause of heavy steering. proper fluid level.

Last edited by acmech52; 05-12-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 CRV AWD Steering Characteristics