CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2010 CRV Burning Oil.....but Honda says that's normal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:11 AM

Thank you bmacleod. They pushed my service appt. until Monday. I will be sure to ask specifically about this!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 AM

Actually, I am glad to know there is a fix that works, with all I have read about the class action suit honda settled on several models regarding oil consumption I was worried that this model simply just consumed a lot of oil, but after the law suit they simply changed the accepted oil consumption specifications so the could not be sued.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 AM

Be careful when you talk to them - they will tell you it's normal but the thing that use to really get me mad is they would try telling me it's my fault. They wouldn't give me specifics just something about the way I drove was making it burn oil. That was such an obvious bs move on their part. Good luck - I've moved on (Toyota) and this will probably be my last post. Like I said before, all auto companies have lemons - but if you try to sweep it under the rug (changing the tsb's), make my live difficult (making me come back for oil consumption tests that you know are designed more to make me quit coming back and hope I go away), and blame me for how I drive as being the problem - I'll take that writing on the wall as you don't value me as a customer and I'll move on. I seriously thought about a small claims court - the class action lawsuit might take years to happen and I didn't have the time to wait - I needed a vehicle I could depend on.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 PM

Just got back from appt. good news, don't know if my dad added a we mean business factor, but they are calling me next week to schedule appt. to replace seals around pistons. I didn't even have to argue with them this time as I have EVERY other time. I hope I have the same good success with that repair that bmacleod did. Thank you all for you comments as I went in prepared to argue my case and feel confident they are taking me seriously and taking measures to repair the vehicle. Hopefully I will end up with the car I spent the extra bucks for -dependable and maintenance free. I am also glad to report that this Honda dealer appears to be backing its warranty, will try to report update as to if fix works on this vehicle as well.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:41 AM

just bought a 2011 exl model this past weekend that has 65000 miles on it hope I don't have issues. have only put 300 miles on it so far. a quart per 1000 of oil consumption is a load of BS. I have a 1997 chevy s10 with over 200000 and it might loose a pnt. between changes and that's mostly to leaks.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Default 2010 CRV Burning Oil

One of many people I see on the forum who is burning much oil & being told the same nonsense by Honda. My CRV is 2010 purchased new that fall and noticed one year ago I am burning oil. Did the Honda oil consumption test for 5 months to determine I was using 1 L per 1500 km & told it is acceptable. I continue to use oil at same rate with approx 120000 km now on car. Spoke to Honda Canada customer service dept & local Honda service Mgr recently and will not do anything for me per other comments. My experience mirrors all other comments. Honda are not standing up to an obvious problem. I have enjoyed my CRV greatly until this problem. When I bought it was my first Honda & was so pleased with decision & now this. Like many others it is looking like I am a 1 and done Honda buyer & being forced to go back to Toyota where we experienced no problems in past vehicles. And I hate the fact I will be passing my problem on to someone else. Time to step up to the plate Honda!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Default Moved on to Toyota after Honda CRV troubles

I gave up with no help from Honda Canada and Olympic Honda in Guelph Ontario regarding large volume of oil consumption in my 2010 CRV. Oil problem began just over one year ago with only 96,000 km on vehicle and I was adding 1 Litre of oil every 1500 km. Absolutely crazy and yet Honda claim this to be "normal". If I were to go on a long road trip I would need to bring along a number of litres of oil. I am a one and done Honda buyer and have recently purchased a Toyota Camry to replace the CRV.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 PM

just thinking here and if anyone has tried heavier oil please reply. but wonder if consumption is due to use of 0/20 weight oil that Honda uses? seems light to me wonder if 5/30 or 10/30 would do better?

Last edited by Dave in DE; 04-07-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:51 AM

I wondered about recommended oil as well. I can however confirm that 3000 miles after Honda put new seals / rings on pistons that my oil is still full. It appears to have fixed the problem in my vehicle, as previously by 3000 miles it was empty. When I asked after the repair if Honda wanted to do another oil consumption test to confirm this fixed the problem they waved me away, confident this was the answer. Huh, almost as if they had known all along... Anyway, seems in good shape now at no monetary cost to me. I am pleased about that, but dismayed about the runaround and still missing my Toyota.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:46 PM

ya, 0/20 oil to me is sowing machine oil. I don't like to use anything lighter than 10/30

Quick Reply: 2010 CRV Burning Oil.....but Honda says that's normal