CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2018 CRV all dash lights cycling, dealer says fuel contamination

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 07:38 AM
Default 2018 CRV all dash lights cycling, dealer says fuel contamination

My 2018 CRV would not start after taking a driving break while traveling. We had filled up the tank about 45 minutes before, drove about 35 miles in 40 minutes before we stopped. After that, it would not start and all the warning dash lights were cycling thru...Tire pressure, brakes, emissions, lane keeping etc. every single system was flashing errors. It would not start. We had a jump start and that did not do it. Battery fine. So we towed it to a dealer who happened to be in same town. I thought it would be some computer glitch but they said there is contaminated fuel that smells "pungent" and now the whole fuel system has to be replaced, and that was just "for starters". The gas was bought at an Irving station in NH. It was regular. Our receipt shows that. So it was not some mix up of diesel. The gas door can only be opened from inside and the car was always locked. So where did this contamination come from? What is it? I have been reading about oil getting into the gas system, but the dealer said that was not it. However, I am aware that there are class action lawsuits against Honda for this reason, and am wondering if the dealer is just covering up. I plan to have it towed back to my town and have my own mechanic look at and fix it. I am hoping insurance will cover this, but the adjuster has not been out to look at it yet.

Can anyone help with some advice or info on this?

thank you.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:22 PM

had the same problem, had dealer checked. they told me it was speed sensor, misaligned. they aligned it, and nothing. all dash lights still lighting up like christmas lights.
had this happened before after a battery replace, but now battery is 6 months old, and already getting same problems

Old 04-11-2023, 09:23 PM

i called honda cust service to ask if there is recall about this. nothing they say.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:05 AM

What were the modules showing?

Old 06-06-2023, 03:39 PM

Hi! I've been having the same issue with my 2018 CRV touring. The warning lights are coming on at random times even when I just turn on the car even before I start driving. This has been happening for about 13 months and I have not taken my car in to the dealership after reading many forums like this where the owners took their Hondas in and the dealership charged their fees and didn't fix the problem time after time.
I filed a complaint with Honda USA. I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA. They told me more owners who have this problem should report it to their agency. The more complaints, the better our chances of getting a recall to happen.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Windtalker
Hi! I've been having the same issue with my 2018 CRV touring. The warning lights are coming on at random times even when I just turn on the car even before I start driving. This has been happening for about 13 months and I have not taken my car in to the dealership after reading many forums like this where the owners took their Hondas in and the dealership charged their fees and didn't fix the problem time after time.
I filed a complaint with Honda USA. I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA. They told me more owners who have this problem should report it to their agency. The more complaints, the better our chances of getting a recall to happen.
What codes?

Old 06-06-2023, 05:47 PM
Default What codes are showing?

All the codes are flashing. The break, the open door dinging, the lane stability control, the check engine, ALL the alerts are flashing.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Windtalker
All the codes are flashing. The break, the open door dinging, the lane stability control, the check engine, ALL the alerts are flashing.
If you do not understand the difference between your trouble lights and the codes they set in their respective modules take it to a shop.

Old 06-07-2023, 01:24 AM

Уour 2018 Honda CRV fuel contamination can indeed cause various problems with the vehicle's performance and trigger warning lights on the dashboard. While it's difficult to determine the exact source of the contamination without a thorough inspection, there are a few potential causes to consider:
  1. Water Contamination: Water can enter the fuel system through condensation or if the gas station's underground storage tank has water intrusion. Water in the fuel can lead to starting issues and engine misfires.
  2. Sediment or Impurities: Contaminants like dirt, rust, or debris can find their way into the fuel system, potentially causing blockages and affecting the engine's performance.
  3. Fuel Quality: Although you mentioned that you purchased regular gasoline from an Irving station, there is still a possibility of fuel quality issues. While rare, it's possible that the fuel you received was contaminated during transportation or storage.

Old 06-07-2023, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dfdh54
Уour 2018 Honda CRV fuel contamination can indeed cause various problems with the vehicle's performance and trigger warning lights on the dashboard. While it's difficult to determine the exact source of the contamination without a thorough inspection, there are a few potential causes to consider:
  1. Water Contamination: Water can enter the fuel system through condensation or if the gas station's underground storage tank has water intrusion. Water in the fuel can lead to starting issues and engine misfires.
  2. Sediment or Impurities: Contaminants like dirt, rust, or debris can find their way into the fuel system, potentially causing blockages and affecting the engine's performance.
  3. Fuel Quality: Although you mentioned that you purchased regular gasoline from an Irving station, there is still a possibility of fuel quality issues. While rare, it's possible that the fuel you received was contaminated during transportation or storage.
Bad gas will turn on the CEL if it's causing a misfire but it's not going to cause other lights to turn on.

Quick Reply: 2018 CRV all dash lights cycling, dealer says fuel contamination