CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 12:52 PM
Default 2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring Mileage

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to improve the mileage on my 2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring vehicle. I realize sticker mileage numbers are always inflated but I've never seen such a big difference before. The sticker suggests 35 mpg highway and 40 city, thanks to the EV capabilities. I'm getting more like 23 highway and, at best, low 30's city. In fact, I'm about to fill up again today and the "average" mpgs since my last fill-up is 26. That's 12 mpg lower than the average shown on the sticker.

I keep Economy mode on, btw, so I hate to think what those numbers drop to if I shift to Sport mode.

The EV functionality is a bit annoying. I realize it needs to automatically turn off at higher speeds (greater than 40 mph) or if the cabin is heating, which it is in Indiana in February. The annoyance has to do with the fact that I have to keep pressing EV each time I drop below 40 mph, once the cabin is warm. Why can't I just turn on EV once and have it kick back on when my speed drops?

I have to believe I'm doing something wrong to achieve such awful mileage numbers. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Default Same for me. What’s going on?

Originally Posted by joewikert
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to improve the mileage on my 2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring vehicle. I realize sticker mileage numbers are always inflated but I've never seen such a big difference before. The sticker suggests 35 mpg highway and 40 city, thanks to the EV capabilities. I'm getting more like 23 highway and, at best, low 30's city. In fact, I'm about to fill up again today and the "average" mpgs since my last fill-up is 26. That's 12 mpg lower than the average shown on the sticker.

I keep Economy mode on, btw, so I hate to think what those numbers drop to if I shift to Sport mode.

The EV functionality is a bit annoying. I realize it needs to automatically turn off at higher speeds (greater than 40 mph) or if the cabin is heating, which it is in Indiana in February. The annoyance has to do with the fact that I have to keep pressing EV each time I drop below 40 mph, once the cabin is warm. Why can't I just turn on EV once and have it kick back on when my speed drops?

I have to believe I'm doing something wrong to achieve such awful mileage numbers. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I started out with city mpg in the mid-20s. Oddly, it has slowly increased to 31 mpg over 3-4 months. Disappointed that I’m not even close to the advertised mileage.

Last edited by Hardy Harr; 06-19-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. in order to obtain as close to the milage shown on the suggested retail price sticker, you need to have a smooth level straight road with your tires at max pressure, windows up, a/c off, lights off, no radio, no winds, at 55-65 miles per hr. normally none of us drive in these ideal test conditions so we have difficulty obtaining these actual milage. also an easy touch gas foot will help.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:21 AM

If you are getting 23 mpg on the highway something is seriously amiss. I get better than that around town in my non hybrid 2021 CRV.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:30 PM

One reason you get disappointing mpg is that you keep pushing that stupid button. Stop doing it, and your mpgs will go up.

Several things are misunderstood about hybrids.
  • The car decides when to use EV drive. That's when the gas engine is off, and you drive in battery alone.
  • The CR-V hybrid can do this at any speed, but not under any significant acceleration. You know when it is in EV drive when the green "EV" light comes on.
  • Pushing the idiot button enters EV mode. That means the car favors EV drive as long as possible. The green car symbol, with black "EV" inside it, comes on.
  • EV drive uses more gas than any other drive mode. It is just gas you burned earlier, to charge the battery. Using it directly is more efficient because some is lost to heat when you charge and discharge the battery.
  • You need roughly 20 HP to cruise at highway speeds. The engine is only 33% efficient when it generates 20 HP. But it is 40% efficient when it generates 35 HP. So when you are cruising, the engine will generate 75% more energy than it needs, but burn only 45% more fuel. Even with battery losses, you can use less fuel if you let the computer balance EV drive and Engine Drive. If you keep pushing that button, you mess up that balance.
Some other tips:
  • Avoid short trips (the engine is more efficient when warm).
  • Keep a steady speed as much as possible. And jackrabbit starts.
  • Don't race up to stop lights, and then hard braking. Let the regen brakes work as much as possible. If you need it, train yourself to do this by stopping with the paddles as much as possible.
  • Check your tire inflation.
  • Calculate mpgs by hand; the trip computer can be off.

Last edited by JeffJo; 11-22-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:28 PM
Default My Experience

Bought a 2021 EX -L in May 2021. Drove very little on highway, but got a solid 35 MPG when I did. Was getting 34-35 MPG around town. When cold weather blew in last fall, mileage dropped to 29 MPG. We are currently on a road trip from San Antonio, TX to Branson, MO. Weather was cool on the way up and MPG was low 30's. Temp rose to 70's five days ago. Gassed up and mileage rose to 38-39 MPG and for a short while was up to 41MPG. It has cooled a bit and MPG is down to 35-36 MPG. I am starting to think ambient temperature may play a large role in city mileage. Should point out that have owned the car a little less than a year and only had 2K of city miles until we started this trip.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:53 PM
Default 2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring Mileage

Thanks!
Mine does like they say. 35-40.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:46 PM

Ouch! Your post is giving me second thoughts about purchasing one. I had this issue with my german car. It is supposed to get 23. I was getting 17. I did everything mechanical to possibly fix this and made sure my tires were inflated, but it did not seem to help. Then one day I purchased gas from a different gas station and immediately my gas mileage went up to 19 - still not where it is supposed to be, but I am convinced whatever they are selling in a lot of gas stations (because I go to many) is not what they say it is. I only buy premium. I have been back to the gas station that gave me the better mileage several times and it seems hit or miss on whether I get a good batch or not.