CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2021 CRV Hybyrd EXL

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Default 2021 CRV Hybyrd EXL

My 2021 CRV Hydbird lost pressure, engine lit came on and the power went down to 30 mph from 60mph.
Had it towed to the dealership because of extended warranty and to make sure using oem parts.
Version spark plug #4 miss firing and leaking valve gasket. I feel for a car just under 3 years old with 40, 000 miles where all maintenance has been done should not be having this problem.
As anyone else experienced this?

Old 12-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Default High Birds

Based on the way you describe the basis for your question, I assume that you did/do not follow the recommendation in your owners manual to use top-tier gas. Sooooo, because you have an Atkinson Cycle engine I would estimate that it would be possible to wear out a valve “gasket” over the course of 40k mi. If my assumption is incorrect then it would not be normal to experience that type of failure within the parameters specified.

Also, if the proper break in was not performed that too could have contributed to your premature part failure.

YMMV

Ref: pg 476 for break in
pg 572 for top tier

Last edited by Just Ducky; 12-28-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Just Ducky
Based on the way you describe the basis for your question, I assume that you did/do not follow the recommendation in your owners manual to use top-tier gas. Sooooo, because you have an Atkinson Cycle engine I would estimate that it would be possible to wear out a valve “gasket” over the course of 40k mi. If my assumption is incorrect then it would not be normal to experience that type of failure within the parameters specified.

Also, if the proper break in was not performed that too could have contributed to your premature part failure.

YMMV

Ref: pg 476 for break in
pg 572 for top tier
I followed the fuel recommendations in the owners manual., which is unleaded gasoline pump octane 87 or higher. The top tier detergent was only endorsed by Honda not recommended as per the owner's manual. As for proper break in, this is not my first hybrid. I followed all guidelines outlined in the owner's manual and performed every recommendation or maintenance as requested. The code was P0304 which is a misfire of cylinder No.4. I was surprised a valve adjustment was needed over a misfire.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:40 PM
Default Descriptors

I guess I did not understand what you were asking. We went from “valve gasket” to valve adjustment and added P0304 code. I’m also clueless as to exactly what “lost pressure” and “Version spark plug” is actually referring to.

As for your differentiation between endorsement and recommendation, I look at a recommendation as a strong suggestion and an endorsement as a positive recommendation.

Hope you find the answer you are looking for.

Out

Last edited by Just Ducky; 12-28-2023 at 07:57 PM. Reason: site deficiency