CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2024 Honda CR-V Hybrid Rattling Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 01:54 PM
Default 2024 Honda CR-V Hybrid Rattling Noise?

Hello,
I am so sorry but I need some help on this. I am hearing this rattling noise from my 2024 Honda CR-V Hybrid when cold start. Honda says it's normal... Is there any of you hearing this noise from the same model? It starts around at 00:10 on the following video.

Click here to hear the noise:

It had this issue in January 2024 and they said it was erroneous injectors and had them replaced at that time. But I started hearing the same noise again a couple of weeks ago. Now they say it is normal noises that comes from their hybrid engine. I can't believe Honda would design its engine in this way, allowing rattling noise.

I would greatly appreciate if you could give me any advice. I would like to know this is what 2024 CR-V Hybrid users would typically hear from their engine or not.

Thank you very much,
T

Old 03-27-2024, 03:49 PM
Default Not Otto

Hard to listen to with the talking however it sounded like a normal Atkinson Cycle “rattle” to me.

You might try this: When you park in the evening select Economy mode and turn the climate/heat off before shutdown. When you start up in the morning there will be no heat demand therefore the engine should not start (unless you have a low batt). After you start driving and the computer calls for engine start you likely will not hear the cycle noise due to generator load.

Notably, that is why the Hybrids have hush mat under the bonnet (hood here).

Please advise of test results to verify hypothesis.

YMMV

Old 03-29-2024, 11:09 AM

Thank you for your insight. They called me again after that and said it was spark plugs causing the rattle... They said they have replaced the plugs this time and there is no more rattling noise... Two days ago they argued with me that it was all normal (they even said my car is just one of few cars with some small issues - so it's an issue anyway, right?) and now they are saying they fixed it... It took three weeks for them this time (It took 17 dats for the their first attempt). I must say I am quite disappointed. Thought car business is all about trust. They've lost mine... They wouldn't care though.

Here is another version without talking - for other owners' reference. Rattling starts around 00:04.

Old 03-29-2024, 01:10 PM
Default Rattle no shake.

I could hear it better on the second audio, thanks. It was not the normal noise I’m used to.

It makes sense that a bad spark plug(s) would cause the valves to make that noise. The valve timing honda uses to make the Atkinson work makes the valves much more susceptible to any irregularity such as plugs and injectors.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:00 AM

I call BS on spark plugs being the cause of a cold weather only rattle. It sounds more like plastic rattling and someone pressing on plastic in the engine compartment may have cured the issue.

Old 04-06-2024, 01:47 PM

Now I start hearing the noise again. It was not spark plugs. They just say it is normal… I don’t know what to do. Should I ask them to start all Cr-V hybrids in their lot if I can hear the same noise??? Can’t believe this is normal. Not an expert though. Any advice on what I should take as the next steps?

Old 04-06-2024, 05:52 PM
Default Bad Math

This is not adding up.

In January the shop heard the noise, identified it as an injector issue, replaced them and the noise went away.

In mid March the noise returned. You took it back and the shop states it is normal. Subsequently it appears that the shop decided it was the spark plugs, replaced them and voila! the noise went away and it took them about 3 weeks to A. decide there indeed is a noise. and B. replace 4 spark plugs.

Now in a short period of time, the noise has returned and once again, the shop is claiming it is normal.

I view this situation as two separate issues. First is that you bring it in with a complaint and the shop pshaw’s it off.
Next they perform (allegedly) some work and you accept it as being repaired.

The second issue is that from what you convey, the shop is not a quality establishment in that they failed to address the problem.

For some unknown reason, they are able to get the noise to stop but only for a short period of time.

As far as what to do, well that depends largely on where you are and what you are willing to do. It also depends on how diligently you documented your saga.

Bottom line is that before you can reach quiet, you need to identify the source of the noise. From your second recording taken in the cabin, it sounds like the valve mechanism (complex) is awry however that should throw an error code and present a CEL. You did not state that you experienced that event.

Last edited by Just Ducky; 04-06-2024 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:19 PM

Yes, like you said

1. They recognized it as “abnormal” and identified it was injector issue. Replaced them. Took 17 days.
2. Started hearing the noise again in March. They kept the car for 20 more days and ended up with saying it was normal. But they replaced spark plugs this time. They said they did the spark plug replacement because they should have replaced them in Jan. together with injectors.
3. The noise has returned again now….

I don’t have any code readers with me. They just said there was no error code showing up - so it’s just normal noise I would hear from their hybrid engine…. That was their conclusion…

Ah…

Last edited by tatabucks; 04-06-2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2024, 06:34 PM

Same issue off the lot re rattling behind dash; Suspect loose component behind dash. At dealership this Tues to assess that AND click in steering when reversing out of parking spot, noisy sunroof motor when closing (not when opening), and VERY severe and premature rust on what looks like inner cv joint housing. Right side is brutal & I’ve been getting a clicking/whomping from that side, like a rock stuck in tire, but not a rock. Look under your new 2024 CRV Hybrids and see if you have same issue. Would have never noticed if my trailer hitch wasn’t installed poorly. Asking them to check stabilizers/sway bars as well as the body roll is shockingly bad. Asked for pre-sale inspection to be emailed as it wasn’t provided at sale, was told their system was down. I suspect it wasn’t done. Beginning to suspect I have a lemon.

Shot from vehicle rear.

Old 06-23-2024, 02:51 AM
LDB

Originally Posted by tatabucks
Hello,
I am so sorry but I need some help on this. I am hearing this rattling noise from my 2024 Honda CR-V Hybrid when cold start. Honda says it's normal... Is there any of you hearing this noise from the same model? It starts around at 00:10 on the following video.

Click here to hear the noise: YouTube Video Link

It had this issue in January 2024 and they said it was erroneous injectors and had them replaced at that time. But I started hearing the same noise again a couple of weeks ago. Now they say it is normal noises that comes from their hybrid engine. I can't believe Honda would design its engine in this way, allowing rattling noise.

I would greatly appreciate if you could give me any advice. I would like to know this is what 2024 CR-V Hybrid users would typically hear from their engine or not.

Thank you very much,
T
Any updates? Where are you located? How far to another Honda dealership? Have you checked Car Dealer Reviews, Dealership Ratings, Cars For Sale | DealerRater to see how well or poorly dealers do for their customers?

Quick Reply: 2024 Honda CR-V Hybrid Rattling Noise?