CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Android Auto won't connect

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 05:07 PM
Talking Android Auto won't connect

We had a problem with our Android Auto on our new 2021 Honda CR-V Hybrid. We purchase the vehicle in April. We set up Android Auto to work with our 2 cell phones. In July, Android Auto ceased to connect with either phone. On July 3rd, it worked with both phones and on July 13th it would not work with either phone. Nothing would allow it to work with either phone. We were resisting doing a factory reset, but that option was quickly approaching. I watched a video that demonstrated how to get access to a hidden diagnostic screen. I was unable to access the diagnostic screen, but I found that if I pressed the Volume button in for about 10 seconds, then I received a prompt asking if I wanted to Reboot. The system rebooted, about 30 to 40 seconds; and then I was able to plug in phone and get Android Auto to recognize that a phone was connected. I followed the prompts and Android Auto was operational within 2 minutes.

The Reboot option maybe the equivalent to a factory reset as we have not driven the vehicle enough to determine if our personalized setting were deleted.

Best wishes to all with Android Auto connectivity issues.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:32 PM

Back to the dealership!!

Old 07-30-2021, 09:03 AM

Sounds like my problem is the same, except that I bought the car new in the middle of July (2021) a few weeks ago. I have not been able to get the Android Auto working via USB or with bluetooth. I can get the bluetooth to do phone and music but not maps.
What's this thing about a factory reset through some menu hacks? Can you advise on that?

Old 07-30-2021, 02:36 PM

kramerhon,

The screen in the photo is very familiar to us. Your issue is slightly different from ours. Our system worked for several months and then stopped. Things I would suggest checking are 1)Is the phone compatible with Android Auto and your car? There is probably a list available of from Honda of compatible phones. I might try using a different phone - like a friend's or relative's phone as a test. 2)Is the phone current with the latest patches? 3)Have you installed the Android Auto App on your phone? 4)The cord maybe an issue. If the you can plug your phone into a computer usb port using the same cable and communicate between the 2 devices, then the cord is most likely not the problem.
I assume the screen image you posted pops when your phone is initially plugged in. The honda/phone data rate appears to be slow. Our process is start the car and allow the radio to come to life and then plug into the phone/usb cable - probably close to 2 minutes delay.
The 'Restore to Factory' option is different from the reboot option, per Honda CSR. The RTF most likely deletes all personalization settings - I have not done that.
I did call the Honda factory representative. He was a few days in returning my call and I had already solved the problem. He was nice, friendly and wished us well without providing much info, except there being a difference between a Reboot and Restore to Factory option.
If this were my problem that was not solved by a reboot and I was convinced that the phone, cable, updates were all good then I would hand the problem to the dealer or a factory representative. In my case the dealer is 90 minutes away.

Good Luck to you.
R. Biddle

Old 02-05-2022, 11:36 AM
Banned

I've noticed an issue. I have a wireless phone charger mount for my car. When I have my phone charging wirelessly and have the USB plugged in to use Apple Car play, Apple Car play does not work. I had to unmount my phone from my wireless phone charger and put it down somewhere, and then the Apple car play started to work.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:56 PM
Default Reboot vs Facebook reset

Originally Posted by rsbiddle
kramerhon,

The screen in the photo is very familiar to us. Your issue is slightly different from ours. Our system worked for several months and then stopped. Things I would suggest checking are 1)Is the phone compatible with Android Auto and your car? There is probably a list available of from Honda of compatible phones. I might try using a different phone - like a friend's or relative's phone as a test. 2)Is the phone current with the latest patches? 3)Have you installed the Android Auto App on your phone? 4)The cord maybe an issue. If the you can plug your phone into a computer usb port using the same cable and communicate between the 2 devices, then the cord is most likely not the problem.
I assume the screen image you posted pops when your phone is initially plugged in. The honda/phone data rate appears to be slow. Our process is start the car and allow the radio to come to life and then plug into the phone/usb cable - probably close to 2 minutes delay.
The 'Restore to Factory' option is different from the reboot option, per Honda CSR. The RTF most likely deletes all personalization settings - I have not done that.
I did call the Honda factory representative. He was a few days in returning my call and I had already solved the problem. He was nice, friendly and wished us well without providing much info, except there being a difference between a Reboot and Restore to Factory option.
If this were my problem that was not solved by a reboot and I was convinced that the phone, cable, updates were all good then I would hand the problem to the dealer or a factory representative. In my case the dealer is 90 minutes away.

Good Luck to you.
R. Biddle
reboot didn't work for me. The factory reset worked with minimal disruptions of radio settings. You'll find it in the system button under the settings. It change my screen color and some radio stations