CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

blower motor blew up, 2003 crv, now with hot key barrel

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:16 AM
Default blower motor blew up, 2003 crv, now with hot key barrel

blower motor blew up while i was driving myself to hopsital with a severe covid case.
Was horrible. No im recovering and need aircon back.
I have noticed since i bought the car that the blower motor changes speed on its own a bit, like a loose wire or something, probably the resistor i beleive, which lives donw near the blower.

Now, the way mine broke, seems strange, it made this whirring high pitch sound, then suddenly start flopping liek flocka flocak flocak flocka, as if there is a physical interfrence.

Now since then, the ignirion barrel and key are incrdibly hot. im able to remove the key while driving coz the barrel isnt quite rihgt, and the key is certainly hot.

I removed the air con relay to get me to the hopsital, and the key barrel was still overheating. SO that sais removing the failed motor for the circuit didnt stop the overheating of the electrical system. wierd.

ANyone got any ideas.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:07 AM

Have no idea. Sounds like you need to open up the steering column and look at what is going on
Must be a short which is causing the heat.
As for the blower motor, it might be the bearing is bad??
New or rebuilt??

Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 PM

i got no idea, i cant get under there yet as I jsut escaped hoispital 2 days ago, still unable to breathe propperly.
Im jsut trying to prepare myself.
I jsut ordered a replace,ment resistor becasue theyre cheap, and when i recover ill drop the motor, looks fairly straight forward.
Im just confused as to how it coincidentlly started overheating the key at the same time th eblower broke. perhaps somethign is actaully broken or shorted and is undervoltage now, which blew up the blower perhaps?

IM just trying to prepare myself with as much possible knolwedge for when i have the lung capacity to take a look.
I dont like flying in blind.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:28 PM

Take care of yourself first.
Can't do anything if you're not feeling well.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:27 PM

well, intresting result.
Got the glovebox off and immediately saw a plastic bag in the opening where the cabin air filters ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!
and in the process found out how I very likely contracted coronavirus!
Quite angry now.
ITs all wokring, but theres only one cabin air filter tray in the housing, and no door, and i have no idea how im going to fix that. I cant find replacement cabin filter holders or trays. Cant purchase form overseas here, its just too much of a hassle, they ask you to pay bribes to actually deliver it on top of the delivery fee, and it takes months. Ill probabyl have to manufacture something.
I have had it on recirculation all the time, this city (Cebu) is one of the most poluted cities on earth. I think having no air filter and just blowing unfiltered air on my face probabyl gave me COVID, and allowed the plastic bags to get sucked in.
I Was able to remove them from the access hole and its all sweet now

Recoving ok, my O2 is at 90% now. Stay safe everyone.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:59 PM

Good news. Take care of yourself.
Yeah, a simple tray and cover should be easy for you.