CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Break peddle noise when breaking at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Default Break peddle noise when breaking at low speeds

When breaking at low speeds or holding break down (at a red light), a clicking/creaking noise comes from the break peddle.

I brought my car in and was told it was normal. Other friends with CR-Vs don’t have this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

*I bought a 2018 CR-V, new.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. under normal braking there should be no noise. do you hear this sound when parked in the driveway,engine not running, in park and stepping on the brake as you do driving to a stop. do you hear this sound after a stop and lightly lifting your foot as the car starts to very slowly crepe forward. also while parked in the drive way in park engine at idle, stepping on the brakes as you were driving to a stop, do you hear this sound.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:31 PM

If engine is idling and the force on the brake pedal is minimal then there can be some noise or creaking.
This can happen with any vehicle. However, more force and the noise can disappear.
If you are talking about rolling and applying the brake then I have to ask if the brakes were changed recently or at all.
New pads sometimes need to have some time for break in. Old pads may need to be replaced as being too worn.
If none of this applies to your situation then would need to actually see what is happening to answer any questions.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. under normal braking there should be no noise. do you hear this sound when parked in the driveway,engine not running, in park and stepping on the brake as you do driving to a stop. do you hear this sound after a stop and lightly lifting your foot as the car starts to very slowly crepe forward. also while parked in the drive way in park engine at idle, stepping on the brakes as you were driving to a stop, do you hear this sound.

Thank you for the response! No noise when breaking is/has always been my understanding as well. The sound occurs any time when breaking at low speeds or sitting at a stop sign. The car must be on and the breaks applied. It is a constant noise. I will post a video to show what it is doing.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
If engine is idling and the force on the brake pedal is minimal then there can be some noise or creaking.
This can happen with any vehicle. However, more force and the noise can disappear.
If you are talking about rolling and applying the brake then I have to ask if the brakes were changed recently or at all.
New pads sometimes need to have some time for break in. Old pads may need to be replaced as being too worn.
If none of this applies to your situation then would need to actually see what is happening to answer any questions.
I agree that sometimes there can be a noise, but this is constant. The car is brand new. My thought was the break pads were installed incorrectly? I really appreciate your response. I will post a video showing the sound. It occurs every time the car is on and the breaks are applied.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Old 06-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Sounds like master cylinder is not holding pressure or leak in brake line????
Much like not putting enough force on the brake pedal
There is a point when the brakes will make noise

Of course, not a mechanic, just another DIYer

Old 06-29-2019, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

get a mechanics stethoscope at a auto parts shop, while someone is pressing the brake pedal down as in the video, have the second person listening to the master brake booster, or as avisitor stated the master cylinder shaft.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:29 AM

Is this something that should be happening or not? Every car I have ever owned, including Honda’s have never done this

Old 06-30-2019, 09:59 PM

No, this is not normal. Get it back to the dealership and get it fixed.
Be stern that a new car should not have this problem
You paid a lot of money for a new car.
It should not have this problem.

Quick Reply: Break peddle noise when breaking at low speeds