CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Broken fog light (lens?) on 2014 CR-V

  #1  
Old 12-31-2018, 09:45 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 22
Default Broken fog light (lens?) on 2014 CR-V

I just noticed one of my fog lights on my EX is broken. The light still works, so I'm not sure if there is just a lens covering the bulb, or if I have to get a new bulb and this is part of the lens, or...?

How hard is it to replace the lens? Do I need to take that whole bottom plastic piece off just to get to the light?

Thanks!
 
  #2  
Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hemet Ca.
Posts: 4,453
Default

I have not changed the fog light lense on a cr-v, but on a Fit, it comes a a sealed unit, only the lamp can be changed and yes the plastic all has to come apart on off, you can stick your hands inbetween to get access. might almost be easier to take all the plastic shroud off to gain access.
 
  #3  
Old 01-01-2019, 07:46 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 22
Default

Originally Posted by acmech52 View Post
I have not changed the fog light lense on a cr-v, but on a Fit, it comes a a sealed unit, only the lamp can be changed and yes the plastic all has to come apart on off, you can stick your hands inbetween to get access. might almost be easier to take all the plastic shroud off to gain access.
Yeah, this is what I found after a little snooping around on the Internets. No one has just the lens, so I had to buy a pair of new lights. They were $55, as opposed to the dealer, who wanted to charge me $211 for one light.

Of course, the ones I ordered are clear plastic (I think), and the original Honda parts are nice, multi-faceted glass. But if they're going to keep breaking, no way am I going to shell out that kind of coin for glass replacements.

Thanks for the help.

Here are the ones I ordered, if anyone was curious: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382463818056
 
  #4  
Old 01-01-2019, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hemet Ca.
Posts: 4,453
Default

good choice. I got my fog lamp set up for my 02 civic from ebay. clear lenses are good, brighter, just some feed back on a real foggy drive, it kind of get over bright back to you. so now I use yellow fog lamps, no bright feed back from the heavy fog, can see a lot better with head light off. (not recommended to have head light off )
 
  #5  
Old 01-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 22
Default

Originally Posted by acmech52 View Post
good choice. I got my fog lamp set up for my 02 civic from ebay. clear lenses are good, brighter, just some feed back on a real foggy drive, it kind of get over bright back to you. so now I use yellow fog lamps, no bright feed back from the heavy fog, can see a lot better with head light off. (not recommended to have head light off )
So, with the price of a replacement fixture from Honda (quan. 1) @ $211 and installation quoted by my mechanic ($180), I decided to go the cheap route (can you blame me??), even though I'd ordered cheap copies from eBay ($55). I went to Tap Plastics, and they had 3" clear discs precut, so I got one of those, plus some extra-strength glue. All for less than $10. The glue is setting now, as I type. Can I upload pics from my computer on this site?

Fog lite with broken lens


I'm still keeping the lamps I ordered, just in case. I may install them myself later on, down the road, so to speak.



Fog lite with clamps holding it in place.
 
  #6  
Old 01-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 22
Default

Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
Yeah, this is what I found after a little snooping around on the Internets. No one has just the lens, so I had to buy a pair of new lights. They were $55, as opposed to the dealer, who wanted to charge me $211 for one light.

Of course, the ones I ordered are clear plastic (I think), and the original Honda parts are nice, multi-faceted glass. But if they're going to keep breaking, no way am I going to shell out that kind of coin for glass replacements.

Thanks for the help.

Here are the ones I ordered, if anyone was curious: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382463818056
Oops. The Honda fog lights are clear, none of the multi-faceted bs as posted above.
 
  #7  
Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 22
Default

Oops. The plastic lens didn't react well to the heat from the bulb. It didn't exactly melt, but it started to get all these weird, sharp peaks and valleys, so that didn't pan out. I wound up taking it to a body shop where they installed the two lights I'd bought off Amazon. $100. Easy come, easy go.
 
  #8  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hemet Ca.
Posts: 4,453
Default

hope those lights last a long time. and make good use of them.
 
  #9  
Old 03-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 22
Default

Update: One of the cheap lights I bought off eBay burned out already. It's only been about a month. I took it back to where I had had the complete lights installed. I think he took pity on me, because he said "go buy new bulbs and I'll put them in, no charge."

So I went to Poop Boys, got 2 new Philips bulbs (better quality, I hope), took them back and he put them in. This time, I was able to see that to replace the bulbs, you just had to skootch under the front bumper & you're able to access the bulb port without having to remove any parts. Thanks, Honda!

Word of caution- if you have to replace bulbs yourself, DON'T TOUCH THE BULB ITSELF! The guy said with halogens, if you get (finger) oil on the bulb, it will probably shorten the life of the bulb.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BeltwayMac
Honda Civic Forum
5
05-03-2014 07:28 PM
tpwhite818
General Tech Help
5
11-12-2010 03:55 PM
dlprince
Honda Civic Forum
0
01-29-2007 10:36 PM
bryan_exr
PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds
0
11-04-2006 12:15 AM
rumpl14
Honda Accord Forum
0
10-02-2006 07:22 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken fog light (lens?) on 2014 CR-V


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.