CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

car and part shortage

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 10:27 AM
Default car and part shortage

Any thoughts on shortage of cars and parts? I am planning to buy a Hybrid now because I am afraid I will not be able to get a verhicle in a year or two, plus it has better gas mileage, but was just reading that someone was having trouble getting parts for their 2017 Honda.

Are parts difficult to obtain for all vehicle makers? Or is this more of a Honda thing? I have not experienced this with my foreign vehicle and it is in the shop every 2 months. I am wondering if maybe I should just stick with foreign vehicles.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:31 PM

Parts shortage was due in part to the Covid-19 pandemic and the government response to give aid to everyone.
Some people were getting more on unemployment than working so decided to continue not working
This caused a shortage of workers and the factories that make those parts.
Automakers fearing that the market would decline decided to not produce as many parts or cars.
They reduced or cancelled their orders of computer chips. Chip manufacturers can not set up a produce chips on a whim.
It takes months of preparations and set up time (not to mention the money needed) to make those specific chips. Cancellations hurt chip makers.
This took place in America. I do not know about other places. Although, the pandemic did happen around the world.

Personally, I suspect that vehicle prices will go up initially and then stay steady with some price decline in hybrids.
But, that is all guesses.