CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

How to make Backseat lay flat

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Default How to make Backseat lay flat

Hi, I have a 2017 CRV. When I bought it I was told that you can make the backseats lay flat. However, when I put the seatbacks down there is a 1 inch height difference between the trunk cargo space and the backs of the seatbacks cargo space because the seatbacks are laying on top of the bottom cushions. (I hope that makes sense!) In my last car (Ford Focus hatchback), I was able to lift the bottom cushions out of the way for a seamless, flat open cargo space. But I can’t figure out how to do that on the CRV. Is there a lever? Or button? Thanks for your help!

Old 03-10-2019, 05:32 PM

What does your owner's manual have to say about it?

Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Of course I checked the manual. It does not say anything about the bottom cushion. It didn’t say anything about the bottom cushion in my Ford manual either- someone told me about it. Despite not being in the manual the CRV was marketed as having a flat cargo space when the backseat is down. It is not flat with the cushions in the way. So if you know how to move the bottom cushion or that the CRV was improperly advertised then that would be helpful. If you don’t know anything then no need to respond. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the foum. lift your back seat (where a person would sit on ) up to the back rest and place the bar flat to the bottom of the seat holding it up as you are doing this, remove your head rest if needed then release your latch like you did and put the seat and back rest down flat. be gentle not to drop the whole seat down, then you will have a flat area. make sure first nothing is under the seat or it will get flattened out. I apologize for the slow response, helping a senior friend who lost his life and its a lot of time consuming work.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:04 AM

acmech52, I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you for taking the time to respond, especially during this difficult time. I will try your suggestion and will let you know if I run into problems. It sounds like the bottom cushion should just pull up without a release mechanism. My old car was the same way, but perhaps I wasn’t pulling hard enough for the CRV. Also, thanks for the info about the bar. Best of luck managing your friend’s matters.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

thank you for your kind words.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 AM

Would look on youtube ... search for tips and tricks for Honda CRV

Some seats just fold forward others the seat cushion folds up and back rest goes down
Depends on your CRV

Last edited by avisitor; 03-12-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the foum. lift your back seat (where a person would sit on ) up to the back rest and place the bar flat to the bottom of the seat holding it up as you are doing this, remove your head rest if needed then release your latch like you did and put the seat and back rest down flat. be gentle not to drop the whole seat down, then you will have a flat area. make sure first nothing is under the seat or it will get flattened out. I apologize for the slow response, helping a senior friend who lost his life and its a lot of time consuming work.
I just joined this site - we have a 2016 CR-V SE - do you happen to know if the 2016 is the same way - I would love to have my back seats lay totally flat if mechanically possible!
Thank you