CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Hybrid Safety Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 12:08 PM
Default Hybrid Safety Noise

I'm sure all CR-V Hybrid owners are very aware of the noise that starts when you shift into reverse or drive. I think I've read everything on the internet about this noise and where it comes from exactly. Lots of good info out there including several ways to disable it, and lot of crap too. It doesn't matter if we love it or hate it, it is here to stay. I know it's the law and it's fine with me that we have a law, but what an obnoxious sound. If they had just installed one to sound like a regular 1.5 or what ever ICE, it would be fine, but no, they had to give us one that can be heard down the block while my 1.5 is setting here quite as a mouse at idle. Am I missing something here?? When they make the ICE engines put out a sound equally as loud and obnoxious, maybe I will feel better about it. Good grief...
What do other hybrid owners think about this sound?

Old 07-04-2022, 02:42 PM

Well, since I didn't get any kind of response, I guess either no one is interested, or you just didn't see it as a problem. Either way, I researched this and now know a little about this noise maker. Not that I'm going to share it, just the fact that I know how it works and how to stop it and stopped mine from this obnoxious sound.

Old 11-16-2023, 04:30 PM

I just joined after buying a 2024 Hybrid Sport L. It sounds like an alien choir is surrounding me when I put it in reverse. Any way to diminish this volume?

Old 11-16-2023, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by fburgerod
…Any way to diminish this volume?
The OP’s decision not to post a “how to” is a good idea. The mandated choir of evil angels is there to prevent the loss of green i.e. the liability for Honda and, if one was to disable/modify, it and something bad happens (think Murphy), the liability you will assume.

There is a significant number of “electrified” vehicles where I reside. Tesla, Maverick, Mustang, Sportage, Highlander, Rav4, Escape … They all sound the same. Notably, I have heard reports that the new Touring, which has insulated side windows, is quieter inside. .02¢ spent.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:08 PM

Well that's just ducky Thanks for the speedy reply! I will just learn to sing along with the choir...

Old 11-28-2023, 11:38 AM
Default It will grow on you! Lol

My daughter in law calls it the Sound of Angels Lol
Positive way to look at it🙂

Old 03-28-2024, 04:51 PM
Default Star Wars singing score

I always sing along, as well…it reminds me of the Star Wars score when the siths are doing bad things.

How do I turn it off? We just bought a 2021 hybrid CRV.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:13 AM
Default Lol

Originally Posted by Just Ducky
The OP’s decision not to post a “how to” is a good idea. The mandated choir of evil angels is there to prevent the loss of green i.e. the liability for Honda and, if one was to disable/modify, it and something bad happens (think Murphy), the liability you will assume.

There is a significant number of “electrified” vehicles where I reside. Tesla, Maverick, Mustang, Sportage, Highlander, Rav4, Escape … They all sound the same. Notably, I have heard reports that the new Touring, which has insulated side windows, is quieter inside. .02¢ spent.

I just laughed out loud!! Choir of evil angels. 🤣

Old 05-11-2024, 12:25 PM
Default Reverse sound

Originally Posted by OKSVT
Well, since I didn't get any kind of response, I guess either no one is interested, or you just didn't see it as a problem. Either way, I researched this and now know a little about this noise maker. Not that I'm going to share it, just the fact that I know how it works and how to stop it and stopped mine from this obnoxious sound.
I agree with you. I’m not a fan of this either. If you’ve found a way to turn it off please share! Thanks

Old 05-11-2024, 03:44 PM
Default Clue Bucks

Originally Posted by Brucer
I agree with you. I’m not a fan of this either. If you’ve found a way to turn it off please share! Thanks
While you might agree with part of what the author said, he also stated that he was not willing to share.

That being said, you also appear to be unwilling to share as the author has(had) a Gen 5 which is different than a Gen 6 AVAS system. There is a youtube video on an attempt to mute the Gen 6 system which was a fail.
I believe I can mute the Gen 5 however, as I already stated, sharing that would be a bad thing so just like the author who has not been around here for almost 2 years would not say how, neither will I however I will give you a clue; You will need an ohm meter.

When I figure out how to convert the sound to the Jetsons flying car sound, I will post that.

Last edited by Just Ducky; 05-11-2024 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Safety Noise