CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Loss of coolant, white steam, startup hesitation, not head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 02:29 AM
Default Loss of coolant, white steam, startup hesitation, not head gasket

I try to title my posts in away that my question is obvious from the title.
I have a 2003 CRV, in philippines, it has the engine that has this part, the engine featured in this manual:
Intake Air Bypass Control Thermal Valve Test - Honda CR-V 2002 2003 2004 2005

Ive had the car for bout 6 months and fixed more issues than I care to divuldge, but this is a new issue and i really CBF pulling the head to find its perfectly fine and the issue is elsewhere :/.

I have a bit of white smoke, mostly on startup, in fact quite a lot on startup whihch looks like steam and smells sweet enough to confirm its indeed coolant.
Im loosing about a litre of coolant every 50-100 km (at a guess). I just went for a 30 km drive and lost half the top tank worth.

I have perfectly clean oil, no milkshake under the oil cap, nor on the dipstick.
No overheating since this issue begun, (was overheating in the beginning, but not anymore, after having the radiator overhauled by a loal engineering "Artist")
No oil in radiator, no bubbles and I can run it on idle with the radiator open and it looks fine and flows well, which leads me to the next point..
I also strongly susepct the previous owner removed the thermostat (as ever retard in this country does when they face any kind of cooling system issue) and therefor the temp goes up and down as I turn aircon on and off, it just shoves heat from the heat exchanger inot the radiator and the temp gets up to normal range, otherwise it sits about half what it should be and takes ages and ages to even get there.
So possiblyy related to that up and down temp stupid previous owner mod.

But i just cant find any evidence of a head gasket leak.

Can that stupid "Intake Air Bypass Control Thermal Valve" leak coolant up into the vacuum in the pipes connected to it into the stream of air that it shoots out around each injector??
That seems to be sucking hard even when fully warmed up, and the tube that goes form it to the manifold seems suspiciously clean inside. But maybe thats normal. I'ts jsut every other part of the intake system is greasy and filthy so im suspicious. Is it poissible to leak past the wax housing and into the suction side?? has anyone expereinced this or heard of it?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

This thing has a plastic intake manifold, and I have taken it off once before to repair the starter, and noticed no coolant channels, are there any possible other coolant channels in the aluminium alloy part between the plastick and the block?? Perhaps somewhere near to this air bypass controll valv thing??

Anywhere else coolant can get into the engine under suction and not under compression?

Last edited by Jeremy Thompson; 12-28-2020 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:50 PM

ok so its not that silly air bypass valve (AKA air assist valve).
I blocked it off and it might jsut be my terrible mind playing tricks on me but its as if the smoke got worse! which actually makes me feel stronger about the likelihood of this being an intake coolant leak. (blocked the bypass valve which increases suction, (decreases MAP), increase the suction on wherever the leak is)
So where else can coolant get in from the intake?
Is that throttle body coolant port a common issue?

All 4 spark plugs look almost the same condition except no 1 which is slightly more carboned than the rest, but i recon thats the rings or injector or coilpack

Last edited by Jeremy Thompson; 12-28-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

have you done a compression check and a radiator leak down pressure check.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:35 AM

Nup, my compresion tester is back in aus, and cant get them here where i am, no mechanics do such things here.
A leak down test would be a hilarious thing to whitness here. They simply wouldn't know what i am talking about if i requested it, and i cant get
Basically I have to rely on developing Country "jungle mechanics" , my experience with 20 years of TERRIBLE second hand cars (about 20 of them), and the experience of helpful previous owners of this particular model, which brings me here.

My gut tells me is telling me the HG is fine, but my gut is only basing its feelings on the lack of overheating and lack of milkshake. I do know its possible to have a one way head gasket fail between water jacket and cylinder, escpecially with this open deck coolant chamber deisgn (Ive had a subaru outback before, that was fun)

But i do get this oother gut feelign that someone's going to tell me to stop relying on my gut and its jus at one way HG fail, and, with my luck, they'll probabyl be right.

Just wondering if its possible for it to be the throttle body i guess. Or the injector base thing, if that has any water channels through it. I cant see any in the diagrams.

Another possibility is a cracked head between the intake port and water jacket where it would only suck and never compress.
I jsut want some good news of a previous owenr with a failed throttle body gasket or somethign simple liek that to keep me going to be honest haha. Ive just grown up and grown too grump to continue rebuilding fkn cars, but i havent grown up enough to stop buying used cars!

Old 12-29-2020, 02:14 AM

I just went n started it and noted these things.
No smoke at all until 20 -30 seconds after start.
Smoke is definitely white.
As I have no thermostat it never reaches anywhere near middle on the heat gauge, but after about 10 or 15 minutes of idling getting to the point where it just registers on the temp gauge, the smoke is almost gone.
However last night I managed to have it smoking like a team train and it was at about 25% on the heat gauge, and to get it to that I had to disable the cooling fans to get it up that high.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:39 PM

well, looks like this is just another one of those threads where the OP just fixes it coz no one is really sure hehe.
lucky for me, my suspicion that it was intake related was correct. It jsut seemed as if the smoke was worse at idle or closed throttle, especially worse reversing down my sloping driveway, smoke would pour up the rear window.

Turns out it was indeed the throttle body, the IAC valve rubber gasket was perrished around the coolant chamber. This is a hot country so it doesnt need it, so i jsut connected the 2 hoses together and bypassed the throttle body.
Bam, no smoke.
Here is the culprit, typical, local car owners just fill their cooling systems with lime laden water from ground wells. check out that sludge.
https://ibb.co/mcV1qSh

Old 01-06-2021, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

thank you for the follow up