CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Misfireing-Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Default Misfireing-Need Help

The check engine light on my 1999 Honda CR-V has been going on and off. Last winter I ran the codes and the it said there was a misfire in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th cylinders. I replaced the distributer roatateor cap and the light went off and the car seemed much more powerful. It stayed off for several months but came back on this fall. This time it would come on for a day or so and than go off, and not come back on for several weeks. This winter when it came on again and the codes read the same thing. I replaced the cap again and it went off for several days but the light came back on and I ignored it for several weeks. Finally I brought it to a mechanic and he charged me $300.00. He told me several things were causing the misfire- he replced all the spark plugs and wires, and reset the timing. When I picked the car up the light was back on with in 24 hours. I brought the car back and he said the codes were reading the same but it was seperate issue and that he would charge for any additional work needed to be done. I was hopeing that somone may have an idea what was causing the misfire. I have minimal basic repair skills but understands the componets. Thank You for Your Help

Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. If the plugs, wires dist cap have been replaced, the coil/ignitor may be failing.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Thank You, I will check that out.