CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Mystery Underhood Canister in 1998 CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Default Mystery Underhood Canister in 1998 CR-V

I just purchased a 1998 Honda CR-V with slight body damage. The RF Fender was hit at the very front, and the back of the headlight assembly was broken. The front tip of the fender was pushed in only about 3" and broke (shattered) a white plastic "canister" just inside the headlight that connects to the air intake system air cleaner box.

It's white plastic and would hold about a gallon water if it were made for the purpose. It broke like potato chips and the parts fell into the closed bottom (there is no drain opening at the bottom).

I can find no part # on it, and a lengthy visit to my local Honda dealer was not helpful.

They went through the parts catalog, and insisted there was never a Honda part where I described it, saying I must be confusing it for the coolant reserve tank, but my coolant tank is quite a bit inboard of the one I describe.

I did web and forum searches, and while the part was mentioned in one forum post, it was just called a canister. There is a large grommet in the canister, and a leg of the intake "Y" pipe is pushed about 4" into it and dead-ends. The other end curves up under the air cleaner assembly and is open.

The dealer parts guy said that many parts of the 1st Gen CR-V are now discontinued as Honda considers the model "obsolete" and recommends just buying a new, or newer CR-V (which is NOT going to happen). He said that is probably why the parts catalogs don't show any details of the assembly I "claim" exists behind the fender.

Anyone know the part name, or part # or where I might find one?

The CR-V runs perfectly w/o it, and there is no air noise from the area, but I could see water splashed up in there getting ingested if the "Y" pipe were to fill with water from inside the fender. If the part is not produced, has anyone just plugged the "Y" end that goes into the canister?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 PM

I kept searching and using different search terms and finally I found it!

It is a "Resonator Chamber."

For about $100 w/ shipping anybody have an opinion on whether it's worth replacing?

If it actually causes the engine to run better, have more power, etc, it might be worth replacing.

But if its only function is to quiet the intake slightly, I'm not sure unless without it, it causes objectionable noises or howls at certain RPMs.

Opinions?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:25 AM

That resonator while helping quiet the engine adds horse power through expansion,I would try buying a used one but make sure there are no cracks.