CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

stumped

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Default stumped

Ok guys I have an issue here. Truck threw a catalytic converter code so we replaced the catalytic converter it threw the 0341 code. Have read MANY threads about this and everyone of them ends with someone saying to replace timing chain due to stretch and jump.

I removed the valve cover and set cylinder #1 to TDC on compression stroke. Timing marks on both cam gears line up with each other so it is not a chain issue. I also pulled the inspection cover for the tensioner just in case and measured from the small hole to the center of the larger hole on what looks like a link, and got 8mm exactly (cant measure the barrel of the tensioner due to the orientation of the tensioner)

Now the issues I am having and have had are as follows:

Started off after changing the catalytic converter, it was low on power. Constantly having to kick it down to keep speed. One day on our way home the exhaust manifold donut gasket blew out (attributed it to being cheap and replaced with fel pro) still low on power but driving fine otherwise. Coming home from work one night, it all the sudden sounded like it had blown out a couple cylinders. and lost all power. Limped it home and on the way it straightened out. Parked it at that point and being a single car family we broke down and went and bought a new car.

This is where I started opening it up to see what the deal is. Im stumped as I hold a degree in automotive tech and have done everything I can think of and what the honda service tech manual calls for and cannot figure it out. looking for any similar experiences and what the fix was.