CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

VSA light and limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Default VSA light and limp mode

My 2006 Honda CR-V is fine all summer long. Once spring hits with cool mornings and colder days trouble starts. Things like my VSA light comes on along with the ! Light and the vehicle goes into limp mode. I have to pull over, turn the car off and start it again and depending on how cold the temperature is outside it may or may not do this continuously. Other things like having to change headlight bulbs constantly make me wonder if this is electrical problems or what. I do now have a check engine light that I will have to check the codes when I get home. I will post those as well. I was just wondering if anyone has had anything similar in nature that may be able to give some suggestions?

Old 11-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Default Similar problems

I have a '98 CRV that went thru about four months of intermittent process of engine stopping too often in heavy traffic in PDX, sometimes at a traffic light. If I could coast to side of road or find a few strong persons to help me push it off the road it would always start again within a few seconds. My repairman could find nothing electrical that could be causing it. Finally I had him replace the starter and connecting cables and have only experienced it stopping once in the year since. I had purchased the car from a school administrator who always had the weight of all the school keys on her key chain. We theorized that the weight of keys may have caused wear inside the starter.

My check engine light is almost always on.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Default I hope I found the solution

So after searching and searching I finally found someone describing something similar. It was from back in 2010. I found it here. http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/12759-code-p2646-vsa-related.html#/topics/12759?_k=9ne82l
I hope that this will help everyone else having similar issues. I will also let everyone know as soon as I have had a couple days driving again. Now, basically from what I gathered, this VSA system is tied into a lot of the electrical junk. The particular sensor listed in the link is protected by a screen/filter. This screen gets nasty after years of use. Mine is 10 years old with 250000 miles. So I tore this down and that screen was filthy. In other words the oil couldn't get through like it should. I cleaned it completely with carb cleaner and put it all back together. I started it up and let it run for about 15 minutes and to my surprise, no more sputtering. Just a smooth idle! I can't wait to drive it and see how much better if any it drives.

Last edited by Andrew Colon; 11-21-2016 at 05:23 PM.