CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Webasto Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Default Webasto Problems

Hi, I am in Estonia with very cold winters (up to minus 30 deg). Therefore I have had a Webasto ThermoTop fitted to my CR-V (2002) - UK model, right hand drive.

If I don't use the car for a few days and than activate the Webasto, I cannot start the engine afterwards. The garage who fitted it blamed the battery, which I replaced (Honda Original - problem persists!). Honda says, that the fitting of the ThermoTop was incorrect, Webasto in Estonia says, it is correctly fitted. A test revealed, that my existing electricity system is however very weak, probably due to an installed Secure 2-way alarm system.

I am looking for some support, especially information whether this is a known problem with the Webasto and the tiny CR-V battery. Referenced preferably before September 2006 would be great - so that I can argue with the garage.

Many thanks,

Oliver

Old 02-15-2007, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Webasto Problems

try calling toll-free Honda Motor Europe 01753 590590 perhaps they may be able to assist. (Don't know if you can do this call)

Old 02-19-2007, 06:01 AM

Hi,

thank you for the number!

Oliver

Old 02-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Describe what a "Webasto Thermotop" is.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

if you go to webasto.com, it will show you pic's of the engine warmer for cold weather. Also if you need to purchase one for your type vehicle, motorhome, car,motorcycle, and many other uses. Seems to be a good product.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:24 AM

Checked out the web-site and couldn't find any info as to how it works.

I'm curious ... since here in this part of Canada where -30 in the winter is not uncommon and many vehicles get by with simply a block heater for starting.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Aloha golfer, looking at the video, reading some of the info, it seems to be a unit that is tied in with the anti freeze system, and it heats up the motor, and the interior of the vehicle using the battery. This allows no idle to warm up and the windows are clear before you start the vehicle. Must be an expensive unit.. German design. Also the parts diagram shows water in water out like a engine block warmer. This one goes to the heater in the car, I beleive it is tied in to the windshield heat with the fan on.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Aloha acmech52 ...I take it you're located in the Aloha state?

If this unit is tied to thebattery it makessense now why the OP would have battery issues.

He stated that the vehicle is not used very often so that means the battery isn't being charged regularily.

At the very cold temperatures ( which reduces the battery capacity ) ,sittingfor some time and with large parasitic drain this makes sense.

This unit seems a little over the top ... to each their own.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Aloha Golfer: I was in Hnl, now in Ont Ca. Looking at alot of snow on the SanBerdadino mts. yes on the heater. Does a lot but eats up battery juice.