CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Weird Issue with MY 1999 CR-V Hoping you guys can help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Default Weird Issue with MY 1999 CR-V Hoping you guys can help

I love my 1999 Honda CRV. It's the best car I've ever owned. It's got over 130,00 on it and I will need to keep it operational into the foreseeable future since I am unemployed and my credit cards are maxed. This is where you guys hopefully come in and give suggestions of what you think is going on with my car. I get this weird "CATHUNK CATHUNK" sound (you can feel it too, kind of like the way it feels when the engine is about to sputter out.) It doesn't happen all the time mainly when the engine is running and I'm in park or when I'm idling and the AC is on. When I turn off the AC it doesn't happen anymore. Although the hot/cold overheating indicator on the dash is normal I have been tending to smell burning a bit no steam or smoke though.

Ugh this scares the hell out of me because this is my one and only mode of transportation and my money is so tight right now. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm crossing my fingers it's not uber expensive to fix. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sunny

Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Have you ever run your engine oil very low like having to add 3-4 quarts of oil? It could be a possible crank or rod bearing going bad. in nutural there may be less or no noise, when pressure put on ( accel ) you will hear it and the more pressure, the louder it will get. also have you ever had the radiator over heat or boil over. ? when changing oil have you had a bunch of metal drain out into the oil collection container? does the oil sparkle like it has flakes in it?