CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

White substance under oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 11:04 AM
Default White substance under oil cap?

We own a 2017 CRV Touring. We have had Hondas for over 40 years, and I have always done the fluid changes myself, oil, trans, and diff when present. Most of these cars have lasted for over 10 years...our last 2007 CRV for 17 years. I change the oil every 5-6000 miles on average using the proper Mobil 1 grade and an OEM Honda filter. With this 2017 CRV, at it's last oil change I found an inch thick white mayonnaise-like substance under the oil cap for the first time ever. The local Honda dealership replaced the valve cover gasket and PCV valve for about $500 in parts and labor, hoping that would take care of the "problem," but it is still present. Honda North America deferred to the dealership, when I called them, who now says it's "normal" condensation from short trips in cold weather, and the case was closed.

I'm looking for an answer from the Honda tech guys/gals who are on this forum as to what the problem is (never saw it before in any of ten previous Hondas we've owned), and what to do about it, and what it could mean for the future life of the engine. My kids and wife drive the car and I don't want the engine dying on them some day. Am I being too cautious or over-the-top with my concern about this problem?

Steve from NJ

Old 03-30-2024, 01:02 PM
Default 4 Letter Word

The milky white sludge is caused by water/condensation. So how does it get there?

Basically from failure to fully heat up the engine in cold weather (frequent short trips) will indeed do it.

A bad PCV can help with the volume.
Since your PCV was replaced and you still experience white sludge you have the situation above which is not a problem or you could be ingesting coolant. That would be bad.

You can check the bad issue out fairly easily.

Is there oil in the radiator/overflow tank? Yes is bad. Visual check will tell you.

Is your coolant level dropping faster than normal evaporation? Yes is bad.
This could indicate gasket seepage.

Is there water in the oil pan? Yes is bad. You can dump some oil. Since oil floats on water, draining a small amount from the bottom will tell you.

Time for inspector Clouseau.

BTW, the 4 letter word is COLD.

Old 03-30-2024, 07:45 PM

Thanks Ducky, have checked all of your suggestions recently before my post (and found none of the above), which hopefully indicates it's just simple condensation. What is confusing though, is why now after 78,000 miles and countless oil changes, is it showing up now and never before?

Steve

Old 03-30-2024, 08:23 PM

If it continues it could be a head gasket leaking and allowing antifreeze or water into the crank case. Hope it doesn’t though.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:24 PM

Thanks B.

S