CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2019 CRV EXL (38K miles) Engine Sludge

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 09:23 AM
Default 2019 CRV EXL (38K miles) Engine Sludge

Need some advice on a situation I am having with my 2019 CRV EXL (38,000 miles).

My 2019 CRV EXL experienced complete mechanical failure last week which resulted in having to take it to the dealership for them to look at. They said that the entire engine was filled with oil with the consistency of honey and was completely sludged up. They mentioned that I need to have the entire engine replaced and it will not be under warranty since they believe it was a result of vandalism or poor maintenance.

I take good care of the vehicle and get oil changes at my local mechanic shop every 6k miles. I make sure they use the correct oil and filter mostly because I buy it myself and have them just do the service. My car also has no signs of vandalism or forced entry and usually sits in a garage overnight. There was no check engine light indicators or oil indicators that went off while driving the car. The only sign that something was wrong was that the car cranked and shuddered on a cold start.

I am having a local lab analyze the oil to see if there was anything in the oil that should not have been but I feel like this should be something wrong with the car and covered under warranty. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. TY!

Old 02-19-2024, 07:11 PM

Engine sludge is usually caused by lack of oil changes. Very few additives will cause the oil to turn into sludge. You can try to get the dealership to cover this But, as far as I can see, it was your responsibility to have the oil changed to not have sludge in the oil. And, as any outsider will say, it does not look like you did this. You would have to have proof. Receipts of oil changes. Affidavits from the mechanic or shop which did the oil changes. And if they did not do the oil changes proper then you may be stuck on your own. Did you actually see them change the oil?

The oil does not change to sludge cause there is something wrong with the car. It simply does not make any sense. Ask any mechanic. Oil turns to sludge when the oil is not changed. So you will be fighting an uphill battle. Check with dealership if they have the correct vehicle. Make sure they did not make a mistake or something along that line.

If worse comes to worse then would try engine flush . However, sometimes removing so much sludge at one time will cause more issue than it solves. This is because the sludge can cause blockages in oil passages. Clog up the VVT screens and passages. Wait complete mechanical failure? May be too late?