Cruising / Standard Valkyrie, VTX, Shadow, Nighthawk, and Rebel related information.

First bike, shifting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Default First bike, shifting issues.

Hello. I am a newbie, both to this forum and to riding. After I passed the MSF course, my lovely daughters bought me a 1982 Honda CB450 Nighthawk. It has about 21,000 miles on it. I put about 150 miles on it and started having shifting issues. I pulled into my drive in 1st gear and coasted to a stop. I tried to put it in neutral, but it took several attempts for it to go. Then it took many attempts to get it into 1st...and so on. It seemed that it fought me to go into just about any gear and often would not go into any gear at all!!! Upon recommendation I changed the oil, and lo and behold it got better! I can pretty much go into 1st and neutral at will. I can also now shift through the gears with an exception. As I am going through the gears (bike running on center stand) it will seem to hang up on a gear - meaning shifter won't shift. it just stops as I am shifting through thr gears. BUT if I put a little pressure on the shifter (in either direction, shifting up or down) and slowly release the clutch, it will pop into gear. I can sometimes shift 2 or 3 gears before the shifter stops. When it stops, I just keep a little pressure on the shifter, slowly release the clutch lever until it pops into gear. Any clue? Appreciate it!!!!