Cruising / Standard Valkyrie, VTX, Shadow, Nighthawk, and Rebel related information.

Ignitor? Who knows.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Default Ignitor? Who knows.

Brand new in the forum and I already have a problem. I was riding on the freeway about a week ago and I felt my '85 650 nighthawk start losing power. Not suddenly, but I could tell it was goin down so I got off at the exit ramp and it died when I came to a stop. I got off, checked the fuel, tried to start it again, all to no avail. A harley guy stopped and we tried to start it but it never would crank (starter was working fine) even when we tried to roll start it. He said there was no spark. So I trailered it home. The battery was dead by then so I started charging it. The ONLY thing I did to it was take the cover off of the stator (or magneto or alternator whatever it is called) on the right side of the bike and cleaned a little corrosion off. As soon as it had enough charge to turn the starter, it started back up. So I don't know what was wrong which is a little spooky. Any ideas? I just don't want to get caught like that again. It's dangerous!