Cruising / Standard Valkyrie, VTX, Shadow, Nighthawk, and Rebel related information.

Problem: Honda Shadow Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Default Problem: Honda Shadow Will not start

Hi, I'm having a problem and I'm hoping someone may have some good advice for my situation.

I have a 2002 shadow ACE 750 that won't start.
I put the bike away for the winter (out of the snow ofcourse) and I'm having a problem getting it running properly
I entered the garage, pulled of the tarp, put the battery in, pulled out the choke, and fired it up.
The starter turned the bike over and got it running. The bike ran for about 3-5 min then sputtered out.
I had more trouble getting the bike started afterwards. The bike finally started and then ran for less than a min and came to a halt.
The battery(original) then died after trying to start it for a few more minutes.

Three Days later,
I bought and charged a new battery.
Again the started was firing like hell, the motor was spinning, but would not start.
Due to low lighting and some minor frigid weather my trouble shooting options were slim.

I squeezed the fuel hoses a few times to hopefully prime the bike. The bike didn't start after.

some important info about my bike:
About 3 years ago, I removed a few baffles from the exhaust to cure the Jetson's Sound effect that honda ships w/ every bike.
This changed the back pressure, the carb was never tuned, but the bike managed to start w/out a problem.

I did manage to get the bike started. I figured that maybe the bike really needs the carb tuned due to the loss of the back pressure.
I decided to try to increase the back pressure to see what happened.
AFTER moving the bike to the center of the garage, I partially blocked the exhaust with a rag and the bike fired right up.
It ran for about 3 min and was response to the throttle. I attempted to push the choke in and the bike stalled out. I restarted the bike and waited a another min or so.
I could hear the bike warming up more and the cycles increasing. Eventually the bike's cycles slowed up and the bike shut down.

Is this a fuel problem?
Is it a carb problem?
I still have the original air filter on.
Any thoughts?

thanks for the input

Old 06-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Default RE: Problem: Honda Shadow Will not start

Probably water in your fuel.