Element Forum This unique crossover provides the interior room of a minivan with the abilities of a compact SUV.

multiple issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Default multiple issues

I have a 2004 element with 207k miles. It has been a great vehicle but like they all do it is starting to have issues. Seems like they all decided to start at the same time.

Issue #1
I have a really bad vibration coming from the rear passenger side. It starts at about 55mph and goes away at 65. Does the same when I slow down. It does this 75%of the time but every now and then it will drive smooth with no vibration. I checked the tires for warps or knots and didn't find anything. I had them all balanced and checked to make sure the brakes were not sticking. I also checked for play in the CV shafts and didn't find any. What else should I check?

Issue #2
This one may be related to the first one. I hit 30 mph and feel a vibration under my feet. It goes away at 35. Motor mount? Drive shaft? Transmission or transmission mounts?

Issue #3
Rough idle and it's missing but it has only done this 2 times and they were a month apart. Both times the check engine light flashed. This only lasted about 3-6 miles both times and then stopped and ran normal? Coil or spark issues? Fuel or injector problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:27 PM

Here are a bunch of guesses .. sorry no real knowledge
First issue, would guess is the CV axle
Second issue, If you feel vibration only while accelerating and it smooths out when let off the gas then would say motor mounts
Third issue, would think it was EGR valve dirty. Coil should be fairly consistent? Injectors?

So, no help, sorry

Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. check the following items, i have run into with your results. #1. right rear bearing worn, or rotors or brake drum warpped, and did you do a spin balance or bubble balance. (some shops still do bubble balance, poor way to really balance a tire.) #2 warp brake rotor, engine mount, front end out of alignment. #3. spark plug center electrode shield cracked and slips down to ground the spark plugs and then the compression will help push it back up and the plug runs smooth, then may drop again and run rough, or a lead is touching ground and leaking. i have run into all the the above in my different honda's.