General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

1993 honda civic dx not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Unhappy 1993 honda civic dx not starting.

Hey, I have a 1993 honda civic dx 4 door, automatic trans, not starting. When I first got this car about 2 days ago, thing ran like it was on 3 cylinders. Going up inclines it would barely make it or take it's sweet *** time. I figured ok, let me check the spark plugs, checked the spark plugs, all burnt out, changed the spark plugs, ran maybe a tiny bit better. Still was sputtering at idle, and would take forever to gain speed before 25 mph, and the thing was eating through gas. you could smell raw fuel in the exhaust. Went home and parked it. Next morning car will turn over, no start. Changed the plug wires, took the distributor off and looked at it, distributor was damp on the inside (which I'm not sure why it was like that in the first place) dried it out, put it back on, still no start. Took the plugs out, soaked with fuel. So it's getting no spark and excessive amount of fuel. Changed the ignition coil. Still no start. I'm wondering at this point if its the distributor itself? timing belt could be off or bad? gaskets could have a gap in them? bad main relay? bad computer? bad igniter? I honestly am clueless at this point. It could be one, or all of the above, I'm just not sure where to check next.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

check to see if you have spark from the wires or at the spark plug, if not it can start at the distributor, then the main relay. If you can blow some compressed air to dry out the cylinders, this will help. If you check your timing belt, check to see what condition before changing anything. belts should be changed about ea 60k miles for your 93.