General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

97 ODYSSEY

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Default 97 ODYSSEY

Got a 97 Odyssey (155,000 mi) that won't start. Battery is good. When ignition is put in start, the "D4" light (trans posit light right of speedometer) flashes and there is no maintenance check light. Plugged in the OBDII reader and it came back clean stating "no maintenance check light". I'm guessing it's a transmission park switch but thought that would show up in the computer. If anyone has experienced this problem, any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Default RE: 97 ODYSSEY

ORIGINAL: johnboy

Got a 97 Odyssey (155,000 mi) that won't start. Battery is good. When ignition is put in start, the "D4" light (trans posit light right of speedometer) flashes and there is no maintenance check light. Plugged in the OBDII reader and it came back clean stating "no maintenance check light". I'm guessing it's a transmission park switch but thought that would show up in the computer. If anyone has experienced this problem, any help would be appreciated.
Hello Johnboy,
I will say that some of these handheld OBD2 divices do not pick up everything even when the light is one. Those divices only read things when there is a problem with the emission system, like your cat converter, o2 sensors, fuel cap, etc. What I would recommend you do, is to take it to your local dealer, and what they have is a computer that pulls codes that don't even have to have the engine light on. I am not saying this for them to make money, but it's something you should check out so you know where to start.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 ODYSSEY

welcome to the forum, when you say don't start, does the starter turn your engine? when did you last have your engine tuned spark plugs,leads, etc, also was the van running good before it did not start?
did you hear anything unsual when you last shut down.when you turn your key on when the cluster lights go on, do you hear a click, then when you turn the key one more notch do you hear a click again.