General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

Do you change your own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 01:18 AM
Default Do you change your own oil?

I actually enjoy changing my own oil. I use Valvoline conventional 5W20 and a Purolator filter. The local Honda dealership stated that "any oil of the right weight is fine" so I went with Valvoline.

I plan to put on a Valvomax drain plug system next oil change, Scotty Kilmer of youtube fame recommended it and I like the idea.

What about you guys? Do it yourself?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

change my own oil only after the warranty is up. use mobil 1 syn. same as the dealer.but a fram filter. 280K+ miles and doing well.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:11 PM

acmech52, are we the only members here?

I started changing my own oil on a regular basis about 2009 I guess....I just got tired of Sears' crew getting oil on the floor, seats, and dash! Plus, I wanted to save the money. Turned out, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I use Valvoline conventional, as I think even synthetic must be changed at the same interval per the owner's manual. Do you use synthetic due to ring wear?

I have heard Fram is no good but those work for you?

I have begun stocking up on oil and filters for a whole year whenever I find a sale on.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

everyone has some comment of a type of filter used, i have used just about every filter made, from the most expensive to the cheapest ones. fram and purolator i have used since 1964 when i first started changing oil, at home and at the service stations i worked at. never have lost an engine on filter/oil. only poor experience i have was with using Penzoil, it left a lot of carbon in the engine, so i changed to valvoline havoline (texeco) triton oil (76 union) , mobil, from conventional to syn oils, all work good, need routine change and engines and car last 300+K miles.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:26 AM

I enjoy changing my own oil,the 2000 Accord is a challange getting the filter out without getting oil all over the place the 2016 is a breeze. I also use Mobil 1 and fram filters.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
I enjoy changing my own oil,the 2000 Accord is a challange getting the filter out without getting oil all over the place the 2016 is a breeze. I also use Mobil 1 and fram filters.
I am glad you enjoy changing your own oil. It's a bit of a pain since the drive up racks my father built out of wood are heavy and take time to move into place and put together but those are also incredibly sturdy, do not move, and are able to handle tons upon tons of weight. *I am fearful of the metal ones sold at parts stores.

I use a plastic Kroger bag over my transmission boot and generally don't get oil anywhere when removing the 2002 Accord filter. I wish though the filter was vertically attached so that no oil at all would spill. Blame that on the engine designer!

acmech52,

You were a mechanic? That's pretty neat. I guess filter brands are like most anything else, it comes down to a matter of opinion. I have no bad experiences with any filter although I have only run Honda and Purolator.

If I ever get the chance/clean out my garage enough/spare the money, I'd love to have a lift to move the car up instead of having to crawl under it.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:31 AM

I have done my own oil changes since I started driving.have used just about every filter and brand of oil out there..i usually get something mid price range...I think regular oil /filter changes are key and not so much the brand of filter/oil

Old 09-17-2018, 03:27 AM

Oh absolutely! Regular oil and filter changes are indeed key to keeping an engine going. *Oil weight is also key as I have been told that modern engines have very close tolerances and need that specific weight of oil.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:47 PM

I started changing my own oil when the guys at the garage over tightened the oil plug.
It started leaking after the oil change. Tried to tighten it up but the bolt would just spin in place.
So, I used Teflon tape on the threads and it worked for three years until I got rid of the car.
Still try to do my own oil changes.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:28 PM

I used to do the teflon tape/gasket maker myself. I miss that old car....1988 Accord manual shift. Never should have sold her.

I have the new Valvomax drain plug I am going to try with my Accord next oil change.

Quick Reply: Do you change your own oil?