General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

Got Honda? - Conversion to K20 Type R with Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Default Got Honda? - Conversion to K20 Type R with Supercharger

Greetings fellow 'Speed Freaks',

I'm needing a little advice about converting my current Lotus (Rover engine) platform to Honda JDM K20 Type R.

As many of you may already know, Lotus Elise S1 (Series 1) is a British built, superb handling light-weight sports car with a questionable power plant. Not to be confused with the S2 Toyota-based Elise made to U.S. Fed DOT standards. This is the original Sport 190 racer imported from the UK (1 of 14).

Enough history... our friends across the pond (UK) have developed some pre-engineered conversion kits that transform the relatively docile Rover engines (i.e. Range Rover) to Honda power plants that are kicking butt on most of the European race circuits.

Specifically, the kits are designed to adapt the K20A2 Type R (from European Civic's), the 6 speed gearbox, axles, etc. into the Elise, boosting the HP to around 220HP with much more reliability than the Rover (prone to blowing up a lot if you like that sort of thing).

Many have added the Jackson Racing Supercharger and are getting 320HP. Add the DC5 Integra manifold and that gets them upwards of 330HP.

As I plan my conversion to the new Honda platform, it makes sense to go with the time-tested pre-engineered kits, so I need to source an engine, gb, etc. I know nothing about Honda's right now... so hopefully I came to the right crowd.

What U.S. Honda's/Acura's carry the JDM K20 Type R? What should I ask for at the local salvage yards? Is that the best place to get one (hopefully under 15k miles)?

Second, where can one get the S/C? Is that the best way to go?

Here's one installed with the S/C. Notice the exhaust manifold get a little hot.

Thoughts?? Comments?? Suggestions? I do know that I'll want to hook-up with a local Honda tuner to help me once I get there, but I'm planning and budgeting right now for a next winter conversion (cuz track season starts in a few weeks).

Ken

Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the froum. to find a k-20 you need to go to a salvage yard that bids on newer honda wreaks. Also on ebay, or asian engine performance sites.
Import tunners placed a k-20 into a fit with stock super charger. They are located in Arizona. We have a salvage yard in Lancaster Ca. that has late model acura's and an hondas with k-20's. You need to buy the whole front end incl the ecu. Also if you get a couple of performance books by Kojima it may help you out a lot.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the froum. to find a k-20 you need to go to a salvage yard that bids on newer honda wreaks. Also on ebay, or asian engine performance sites.
Thanks for the reply. I just had a pretty knowledgeable guy reply from Europe. Here are his comments...

"In the US you'd need to look at engines and gearboxes from the Acura RSX Type-S. Usually best from 2001 to 2005 or so. Those are pretty much the same as the european K20A2's from the Civic TypeR. Or you'd need to import a front clip from a Japanese Civic TypeR and get a JDM K20A engine with all parts. For some background info on SC's and Turbo setups you may want to look at: http://www.k20a.org/forum/

Conversion in the Elise is actually quite similar in some respects as the conversion kits for the older Civics. They also need to re-wire some bits, change engine mounts, etc. "

Any additional thoughts after his comments? Do you agree?

I think the take-away here is the kits are designed to work with the K20A2 TypeR (European Civic), so I need to find the U.S. equivalent Honda/Acura model with that same engine/gb/ecu if possible? I could have one shipped from Europe, but there has to be a better local option... right?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 PM

OK... Here's the engine needed...

JDM K20A Type R DC5 rated @ 220HP

Did this even come in a North American Car?? What the best way to source the whole front end?

COMPETE ENGINE
6 SPEED LSD TRANSMISSION
WIRING HARNESS
ECU
FLYWHEEL
CLUTCH
INTAKE MANIFOLD
DRIVE SHAFTS
THROTTLE BODY
LAMBDA SENSORS (O2)
FUEL RAIL
INJECTORS
AIR INTAKE TEMP SENSORS

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Couldn't find any Mike Kojima books on the 'K'Series engines? Only a D, B and H Series performance book.