General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

NAFTA - Not always free trade agreement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Default NAFTA - Not always free trade agreement

My boyfriend and I live in a rural part of BC, about 20 miles from the USA border. A couple of weekends ago, we werevisiting Spokane and fell in love with a used S2000.

We inquired with all the official channels about bringing it across the border and everything checked out just fine, until HONDA USA got involved, that is. Turns out they don't like Canadians bringing their cars across the border because their cars are more expensive here than inthe USA. They initially told us they wouldn't provide a compliance certificate, and when we found out that we could get one anyway, they told us they wouldn't honor the warranty. So...that was the deal breaker. [&o]

So much for fair trade, fair competition, and happy customers.

Totally bummed in BC

Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Default RE: NAFTA - Not always free trade agreement

Man that really sucks!!!
Whereabouts in Canada are you from?? I am a Honda sales rep, and we have an '05 S2000 on the lot we are trying to get rid of...PM me if you want any information!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Default RE: NAFTA - Not always free trade agreement

I live in Nelson BC...3 hours north of spokane. The craziest part of all is that all of the Honda dealers we have spoken to were not aware of this Honda USA policy. In fact, a Honda rep in Vancouver told us that they send U.S. Hondas back to Bellingham all the time for warranty work without a problem and the Honda rep in Spokane told us that they sell cars to canadians all the time. We just don't understand why Honda USA decided to make an example of us!!!

Anyway, thanks for the offer for your '05 S2000, but we decided that if Honda doesn't want our business, then they won't get it. We bought an '05 Nissan 350Z from Vancouver instead....it's really sweet.