General Honda Talk Talk about any general Honda information in here.

oil service

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Default oil service

Does anyone know if you do your own oils service if the service indicator (tells you how much oil lifeyou have left), on my 06 Pilot, resets itself automatically, or if a technician needs to be the one to do that.

I've always changed and lubed my own vehicles, and the filter is right behind the right front tire ... easy access. I just wondered if after I changed the oil if I eventually have to go to a dealership for them to reset the LED reminder.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: oil service

Aloha bmw4bwm: Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay, hope we can all help out. You can reset your service life indicator by reading your owners manual. My Fit has the same instructions, I beleive you go to the life% and hold the reset button like you do your milage, it will reset, besure to read the manual. Also does Honda know you are doing all of your own work, if you are under warranty, you have to record everything you do, if out of warranty, no problem.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. I never thought much about if it's under warranty recording exactly what I do, which is basically the minor things. I will look to my manual and see what it says.

Fruits of the Spirit ... excellent.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Call your honda dealership that you purchased the honda from, ask them what info is needed to keep the warranty on the vehicle . I was told to keep the receipt of any and all parts purchased for the oil change. Good to use Mobil 1 oil, this is the brand used here at Robertsons Palmdale Honda, and put it in a folder to keep the records.
They want to make sure that if your engine has a major failure, that you were doing all the work needed to prevent the failure. This gets a little sticky. My mom sent here car to jiffy lube to do all the work, saved lots of money, today it is in Washington State still running great getting it's 90k ck.