General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord - Occasional Flashing Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 12:01 AM
Default 2013 Accord - Occasional Flashing Check Engine Light

Hi,

I've recently notice my Honda struggling to accelerate ~2 RPM. Whether just gaining speed to merge onto a bigger street or up a slope, the car will occasionally jerk/stutter before picking up speed. Once this started to happen, I've been more cautious in accelerating. Recently the malfunction/check engine light flashed on while I was driving and I lost the ability to accelerate - the gas pedal didn't have an effect when this light flashed, I was basically coasting at speed.

I read the manual, let the car cool down and was able to drive it safely back home. Next day, I took it into the shop, the mechanic said there were no stored codes, the car is fine and just drive it normally. I was pretty skeptical but he insisted and I just moved on. The issues came again recently and the check engine light flashed again about a week later (today).

I'm planning to take my car back into a new shop, but I want to go in with some expectation and knowledge about what this issue could potentially be. Is this a common issue? What can I expect when going into a shop so they don't take advantage of the situation? I did some reading and my guess on this issue is something with the transmission / transmission fluid.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:18 PM

You had a flashing CEL and there were no stored codes? Was the battery disconnected?
A transmission is not going to flash the CEL. That only happens for engine misfires. How long has it been for plugs and such?

Old 08-14-2022, 12:20 PM

Also it's good to supply us with basic information
Year
Make
Auto/stick
mileage

Old 08-14-2022, 05:58 PM

Hmm so I'm pretty dense about car specifics outside of general maintenance. By plugs, do you mean the spark plugs? I don't think those were ever changed in the last 5 years. The battery has not been disconnected.

That's correct in that I had a flashing CEL and no stored codes. The flashing CEL was a somewhat "random" occurrence. It happened once on the freeway, I managed to get out and let the car rest. Started it back up, no CEL for over 2 weeks. It just recently flashed again, for less than 3 minutes. It doesn't come on every time the car starts, but I do notice my car struggling to accelerate up to normal speed limits. The first mechanic just gave me a free diagnosis by plugging in the device to check for stored codes and said the car is fine. I'm going for a second opinion at a different place, but I just want to be somewhat informed before walking in.

Here are the car specs:
2013 Honda Accord LX (the lowest base model)
Auto
80k mileage

What may provide some insight: this car did not have the best history of receiving regular oil changes. The last year of oil changes were good and have been at 5k / 5-6 months. But the years prior to that were not in the best routine (to the point where one oil change was very black and sludge-ish).

Old 08-14-2022, 10:41 PM

You need to put a set of plugs in. That ,may cure your flashing light.

Old 08-21-2022, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
You need to put a set of plugs in. That ,may cure your flashing light.
hey! Thanks for the responses and solution - it did end up being the spark plugs. Car feels waaay better now. I never knew when to replace plugs, gotta put down a reminder for myself.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:42 PM

They should be good for 100K.